Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunter Education class......worthless >

Hunter Education class......worthless

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter Education class......worthless

Old 02-02-2003, 10:09 PM

Default RE: Hunter Education class......worthless

I know my test was. I took it a couple of years a ago. I sat there for two evenings bored out of my mind, and then took the test in 8 minutes, and scored a 100. I am sure that it is good for some people, but I wish they would give a pre-test. If you score a 90 or above you should not have to take the course. Oh well.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:30 AM

I think I may get bashed for this. Let me start by saying I hope nobody gets the wrong message here. I love kids. I have 2 of my own that I can't wait to be in the woods with. I do however have a big problem with the hunter safety course. It is worthless. But for different reasons in my opinion. I think it should be tough. At least in NY, it's a pure joke. I don't know this particular situation, maybe they've made it too hard. But, like everything else, it starts with the kids. I think they should have different levels of licenses. Make the test fair but difficult enough where you actually have to study and pay attention to the class. I don't think any kid should be able to hunt without a parent until they are 16 yrs. old. Let the adult be right there with them until they have the capacity to make the right decisions. Why so many hunting accidents every year. Why do we put whatever and whoever out in the woods?? I don't feel safe during gun season. I wouldn't set a single foot on public land. Why the rebel hunters shooting at anything that moves and running deer etc.......? I think it all goes back to the roots. Sit through a hunter education class and count how many people you would openly share the woods with. It'll scare you. We're talking about putting peoples lives in danger here. And protecting the sport and the animal we hunt. I don't know I just think it way too underplayed and not given enough attention. I hope you don't get me wrong I think every single kid in America should have the opportunity to hunt, but under a structured more intense learning process. Frankly some of the adults scare me more than the children. I think someone just needs to take a step back and reflect on the system as a whole.

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:57 AM

badluck hopefully he'll do fine seems like it by your last post. Titleist great post I totally agree with you on a structured learning curve. I'm also from NY and have not gun hunted in 5 years partially because of the crowding and the knuckleheads.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:36 AM

Titelist, I am with you, I agree that kids or anyone who passes this test or class are not ready to just take up arms and go into the woods. I am like you, I don`t plan on letting Derek go into the woods without me until he is 16 and if it has to be longer then so be it. It is kinda like a car, I want to see you prove it to me that you can be safe and you know what you are doing before I turn you lose on the road, same thing here, just because you have a hunter safty card doesn`t mean squat to me, I want you to prove it to me. There are alot of things that can happen in the woods and I want to personally see that he is going to handle them the way they should be handled. Plus, it is pretty fun having someone in the woods with you that you can trust and share the experience with. Again thanks for all the input, you folks are a great source.

Hack
Old 02-04-2003, 12:38 PM

Here goes, I am a Chief Instructor for the CE/FS (Conservation Education and Firearms Safety) Programs, both firearms and bowhunters for the state of Connecticut. There is no way to teach hunting in a class room, there is no way to teach it in a field exercise. That said, let me state our goals: to educate the students in Firearms safety(bow/archery) to teach ethics and conservation and to inform(teach) the students of the current game laws.

A hunter btween the age of 12 and 16yrs MUST be accompanied by an adult. We advise all adults to hunt with a vetern hunter untill they learn hunting. (notice above whatit is called) Hunting is a hands on environment and should not be left to knowledge gained in the class room.

Our test is 100 questions and the student must achive a score of 80% to pass that portion of the course, they must also pass several field exercises including gun handling, shooting and ammo identification, these, there is no second chance, the student must pass it first time around. Can they hunt I don't know, do they know safe gun handling and safety afield, yes.

I have had more adults fail the course than kids, because some of these guys have been hunting for many years and have developed bad habits and poor practices. Do we want our kids to learn that way? Do you know all the game laws in your state? I teach them all the time, but I still carry the Hunting and Trapping guide with me into the field. I make that suggestion to all that I talk hunting with, not just my students.

Are these course worth it, I say yes, but I can only speak for my part. If you suspect they are lacking help out... you can make a difference....I firmly belive that the drop in the # of hunting related injuries is a direct result of Hunter Safety Classes.

My rant is over.

Misplaced Buckeye
Old 02-04-2003, 04:47 PM

Let's be honest about the field testing. You know how I passed my gun safety portion of it? I had to stop at a barb wire fence and hand my gun to the person on the other side. Wow!! That portion was completed. The blood trail portion looked like about 55 galons of blood dumped every foot in an open grass area behind the clubhouse of the sportsman club that laste about 50 yards until you arrived at a 3d target (the end result) that you could see from the begining. The sad thing is, the written part of the exam was 10 times easier. It's ridiculous in my mind. And I disagree with you in regards to preperation in the classroom. I think there is a hell of a lot more that can be done to teach about safety, ethics, decision making, etc.... I mean come on look at some of the questions on the written portion.
Ex: you see a hunter behind a deer in the woods do you?

A. shoot at the hunter
B. shoot a little low and you'll probably miss the hunter.
C. yell to the hunter to duck in 5 seconds cause I'm letting it fly.
D. None of the above.

Bottom line is, we all know the real thing is way beyond what we learn in these classes. I just think it's time for a major system overhaul. I bet if you went back 20 years ago and compared written test questions they would be identical in nature and the way they are phrased.

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:32 AM

I am in the process of contacting all the states Consevation Depts to get as much on thier courses as possible, including tests and program requirements. Titleist, you should visit CT and take one of our courses, we are having one this weekend, 5-930pm Fri 8AM -5 PM Sat and Sun. come on over try it. Like I said if you don't like the way it's done say something, do something, help out. If you know something is wrong or there is a problem and do nothing, then you sir, are part of the problem. I hope that you take to heart what I've said. I you go spouting this type of bullhocky to the people outside of our sport, you provide ammo to the ARs and Antis.

Misplaced Buckeye
Old 02-05-2003, 07:00 AM

nonononononononono. I do nothing to diminish our sport. I am going to get involved in trying to rectify the system in my area anyway. You're right though I cannont speak for other states or programs, but the Hunter Safety Course just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth due to the way it's designed around here and what I have to deal with and hear about every hunting season. Anyone know who I could contact and start raising hell in NY??

Old 02-05-2003, 08:31 AM

Well boys, it`s over and we have another hunter in our group. Yes, he passed with flying colors and I am still amazed and very proud of him. Looking back, I was alot more nervous than he was about the whole thing, maybe because he knew that he knew the material??? I need to start giving that boy more credit. I know that he has alot to learn in real world experiences but this is the first step to him being able to pass this on to his son or daughter eventually. We will have many days afield together hopefully with both of us learning together. Thanks again

Hack
Old 02-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to your son ,Glad it all turned out well .

Quick Reply: Hunter Education class......worthless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.