Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Idiot Mark

Old 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Idiot Mark

Has anyone ever got on? This weekend I took a shot at a doe and my nose was a little close to the scope. (Which I ended up missing anyway) I shot and the scope came back and popped me in the bridge of the nose. It cut me a little bit but now I have a big black/blue bruise on it. Just in time to see all my family at the Christmas party .

A guy I was hunting with told me a story. He was shooting a 30-06, put the scope's zoom up to 9x. Shot it, the scope came back and got a hold of him pretty good. He had a circular cut around his eyebrow, All in all, he need a few stiches.

Anyone else had an idiot mark?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idiot Mark

That happened to me ONCE with a cheap Bushnell scope, now I only use Leupold because of their good eye relief!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I think many of us have done it a time or two. I have to be careful when on the range shooting a heavy kicker. When hunting I am more erect and have the gun shouldered better than shooting from a bench. I did it once with my ML with magnum loads (3) 50 gr pellets and another time with a shotgun with a scope that had poor eye relief. Both times I was lucky and only made a mark not the "idiot cut". Now that it happened to you it is easy to laugh at the next guy.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

That happened to me ONCE with a cheap Bushnell scope, now I only use Leupold because of their good eye relief!
Thats exactly what I did it with too. A 30$ Bushnell scope from Wal-Mart.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

I had good clearance on my scope till I put on Butler Creek scope covers and then the first time I shot it the red release button on the back scope cover came back and took a divot out of my nose. Made a perfect 3-point shot in the trash can with that one and left the front scope cover on. Only time I have ever been bit by the scope...
Old 12-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been real close but never been cut...
Old 12-23-2007, 09:04 PM

I had a 32 specialput me on my keaster one time and it had a cheap Bushnell scope on it as well.. I now have one of those Cheap Wal-Mart scopes on my 30-30 but haven't been hit by it yet, but there again I don't shot it but maybe once a year if that.. My son uses it all the time and shots it in for the season.. He has been grazed by it but nothing serious.. [/align][/align] I have a Swift scope on my 270 that has great eye relief, So I haven't been struck by it yet either... I really like the Swift scope because it hasn't been off ever since I bought it 8 years ago and it really wasn't that expensive...[/align]
Old 12-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Six stiches a few years back from my .308 at a bad angle on a doe! But, I got the doe in the ice chestand then the stiches!
My wife was freaking out that I was quartering a deer before getting stiched! But I was not going to let good meat ruin!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Proud member!

Took a kid once and as he slept (lol) I shot a nice deer. He jumped to his feet as I turned to him and said "that was a good shot" he said "Ya I know you got blood coming down your face". He thought it was deer blood. LOL

Old 12-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you get hit by a scope, it's because you're not properly holding the rifle, not the scope's fault.

Quick Reply: Idiot Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.