Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Worst Morning of Hunting

Old 12-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Worst Morning of Hunting

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Walker..listen man, you are not alone. Do these things and get back on track....SLEEP in, head out around noon to get on stand. Do not force yourself to get up and be exhausted. That alone will take alot of the pleasure out of hunting. Before you go in, put a big smile on your face. Drink a big cup of coffee or soda a couple hours before. Bring a relaxing book in with you to read. It will help you reflect and enjoy yourself. Breathe in the air every once in awhile through your nose, it will help you remember why you are out there. Take care and have fun!
Beat me to it! Sleeping in and waiting until the afternoon hunt can regenerate your passion. Remember a bad day hunting is still better than a good day at work!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boy does that suck! I was in that same position about a month ago bow hunting in Northern Minnesota, I dug a hole and did my business, green moss works better then i thought it would!
Old 12-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

lesson to be learned dont eat mexican food before you hunt! lol keep it up mighty hunter!
Old 12-22-2007, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: walker12

I'm sure it's happened toa lot of people, but I really can't get over the disappointment of this morning. I can't help but feel like a complete moron. With that, I hunted again tonight, didn't see anything, which has been the case for about a month. I think I'm actually getting burned out this season, and I hate it. I look forward to the season every year, but lately hunting has turned into more of a chore than a hobby.
I really feel your pain on this... I agree with the other as to get some sleep and do an afternoon hunt, Maybe even take a day off and just relax...
I was sort of in your shoes at one point in time. I hunted for 13 straight years without shooting a single bullet (except sighting my gun in). I can make a sure bet that 10 of those years I didn't even see a deer. I got to the point that after the first few hours of the opening day hunt I kept saying to myself why do I even come out here and freeze my butt off for nothing..
On the 14th year it was no different on opening day.. I actually sat there through all the rain and seen nothing, didn't even hear a leave crumble. It was about 2:45 in the afternoon 2 hunters walked down an old logging road about 50 yards from my stand. I figured I would stay for about another 20 or 25 mins and if they didn't spook something out to me then I was gonna call it a day.. At 3:05 I just happen to look to my left and the13 year bad luck streak came to and end, I took and very good size doe..
I guess what I am really getting at is, I really started getting burnt out myselffrom all those years of not seeing a single deer but I didn't give up!
I sort of space my hunting out now to hunting hard the first 2 or 3 days and then taken all the week days off and hunting hard again on the weekends until the season ends so I don't get burnt out again..

[/align]
Old 12-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I look forward to the season every year, but lately hunting has turned into more of a chore than a hobby.
I think every hunter goes through this kind of thing at some point. I got so wrapped up in hunting I forgot what I enjoyed about being out there. It took a bit but I had to learn to forget about the kill and just enjoy the hunt. Forget the total preperation for every unexpected thing. I like to sometimes just go super simple bow and arrow or gun and little to nothing else.

Good luck to everyone.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:45 PM

This morning, I was in the stand at 6:30, waiting on the sun. Perfect weather, and when the sun started to come above the pines, it was gorgeous. Then it hit me.

Last night's Mexican dinner came from the pits of hell. There was no "toughing it out", if you know what I mean. I waited as long as I could, and at about 7:15, I made the painful (literally) decision to go do my business. I left the field and walked about 500 yards up the logging road and made the deposit.

I thought it was over, and was hoping to maybe get lucky and go back to the stand and salvage what was left of the morning. Got settled in, and about 15 minutes later... it hit me again. So, I angrily left the stand again. I was so fed up at the end of round two, I just hopped in my truck and drove up the road back to the house.

I'm sure it's happened toa lot of people, but I really can't get over the disappointment of this morning. I can't help but feel like a complete moron. With that, I hunted again tonight, didn't see anything, which has been the case for about a month. I think I'm actually getting burned out this season, and I hate it. I look forward to the season every year, but lately hunting has turned into more of a chore than a hobby.

In everyday life I have a very bad problem with patience, i.e. traffic, Christmas shopping lines, and so on. I truly think that God is trying to teach me a lesson in patience. Until I learn to relax and take things for what they are, I really don't think that I am going to have a successful hunt. I know I'm getting off-topic from the original post subject, but I just need to vent, I reckon.

Now it's 11:30pm, and I am going to get up in six hours and do it all over again. Why? Because it's a huge passion for me. However, I still find myself being unusually lethargic about the morning hunt. I am usually excited and pumped up about hunting, but it's not happening right now. I won't stop hunting due to a slow season, because that's not what a true sportsman would do, but not seeing a deer for four weeks on what is usually a hugely-productive property is surprisingly taking its toll on me. But, like a lot of things in life; no pain, no gain.
Let's look at what you did wrong

First you did not prepare for the first day or what ever day it was - you ate food that was not agreeable with you and you had to take a dump.

Now what is the big deal there? My dad - who is the king of the dump takers - like Al Bundy on Married with Children, shot the largest BUCK of his life while taking a dump.

Now I am going to tell you something, Dad only goes about once a week and when he goes, it stinks so bad, even the dog won't go in the bathroom during or after he is done.

I told him that the reason why he got that deer was because it was the only time he was standing still!

Deer recognize shapes and they sure as god made little green apples knows what a hunter looks like. When pushed, they will walk down the middle of the game lands road on the first day of hunting season. They might not like it, but they will do what ever they have to do to get from one safe place to another.

If your stand was in a good place, what did it matter what you did. Couldn't you walk down the trail 100 yards and set up again?

Your second mistake was that you hunted near your home. It was easy for you to walk back to the truck and it was even easier for you to drive home and give up after a few minutes of bad luck.

I hunt miles back into the woods and 5 to 20 times that far away from my house. I make it a point to stick it out as long as I can before I go someplace else.

The worse the weather,the better I like it - because if the weather is bad enough to make me want to go home. Don't you think that it does the same thing to the other hunters? So I just sit and wait until they move first and then scare the deer into me and then shoot them. Once I have my deer, what does it matter what the weather is like because if I am by myself - I am going home!

I tell the people that works for me all the time -
" If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!"

When the day comes where your freezer is empty and your pockets are empty and you need food to live, you will become a real hunter. When you would rather go hunting than go to work, then you will become a real hunter.

When you would rather watch hunting on tv then go out in the woods for hundreds of hours just to get that one good shot at a buck - then you are not a hunter.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sheet Happens![:'(]
Old 12-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whats even worse when you do get back to the house. They ask "Did you get one"?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 PM

I hunt in Hartwell, but live in Gwinnett. We've had a really rough time in the past month. Early season was great, but it's flat out terrible now. We have been seeing a few midday, so I'm going to sleep in one day next week and go to the stand at 12:00pm, and stay till about 3. Nothing at all in the mornings/evenings. I just fished at Lanier two weeks ago, and it's pretty low. How are the deer acting there?
You know, the deer have been so abnormal this year all I can do is blame it on the drought. They don't respond to calls like they usually do during the rut, and it seems like all they're doing is looking for water, because it's so scarce. I'm hoping things will return to normal over the next year (rainfall wise) and the season will be better in 2008, because I don't ever remember a season being so lackluster.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone should probably carry a small ziplock with some first aid supplies. A few aspirin, two or three bandaids and a few Immodium AD tablets. You might not stop the first wave but it will be your last.

Quick Reply: Worst Morning of Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.