Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Neighbors shooting deer out of season (UPDATE) >

Neighbors shooting deer out of season (UPDATE)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbors shooting deer out of season (UPDATE)

Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Neighbors shooting deer out of season

First, make sure it wasn't someone bird hunting or shooting at a coyote. Second what state are you in?Some stateshave a special late antlerless season that start today or tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Spike

I'm in Ohio, knox county to be specific. I'm positive it was a shotgun, and I don't know many people who use a 12 gauge on coyotes or birds. I saw alot of deer run into the field, heard the shots and sawsome run away, didn't see any of them get downed because it was dark and I was too far away. We have a history with the neighbors and their not the ethical type, it doesn't surprise me one bit. Thanks for the input, I know what I have to do.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Plenty of people use a 12 gauge for all kinds of hunting this time of the year. My own personal philosophy is that unless i actually witness someone poaching, then gunshots off in the distance are none of my business.

Maybe i read your post wrong, but if they were actually shooting after dark, then weren't you hunting after dark too?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: DMiller6868

I saw probably 15 deer come out of nowhere and start running and playing in a field (too far away for a bow shot). Seconds later I heard 6 shotgun blasts.
What makes you think they shot the deer?! Did you see any go down?!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I'm with the skeptics on this one. A 12 gauge shotgun is used to shoot coyotes, to hunt pheasant, to hunt ducks, to hunt squirrels, to hunt rabbits, to hunt doves, to hunt ruffled grouse, to hunt quail. If you were going to break the law to shoot deer, why use a shotgun, why not use a high power centerfire rifle with a scope? Maybe such rifles are unlawful for taking deer in your area . . . but so would be taking deer out of season. I guess it isn't against the law to call the game warden, but it can make for bad feelings with the neighbor, just like if they called in the warden on you.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Get out your rifle and shoot the deer before the neighbor can.

Seriously though, if they are poaching and don't get caught, they will continue to do it until they do get caught. It's just not fair to the rest of the law abiding hunters.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Spike

Do they have crop damage permits in your area?Could be filling those! Do you know your neighbor? Go visit!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Spike

Well as I said before I'm in Ohio, which means no rifle unless your hunting coyotes or other varmint. I was in my treestand BOWHUNTING, because it's BOW season, shotgun season is all over, never to return until next year. Yes, maybe they were shooting a coyote, but honestly if I was coyote hunting I wouldn't have my 12 gauge out in the middle of the woods in the evening, I might be perched up on a hill calling with my rifle. I thought it was odd that I watched 15+ deer walk into a large open field and then hear 5 or 6 shots, when 3 is the legal limit,gun must be plugged (you might say 2 shooters i guess). Yes it was sundown but I prefer to not get out of my stand as soon as the sun goes down because I wanted to wait for the deer to pass before I spooked them. As I said before, these are not the most ethical, kind, loving neighbors, theirs been a past with us and it's not so great. For example, last season a lady shot a doe on our land, ran onto neighbors, neighbors tagged it and claimed it as their own! I'm sure this has been going on for awhile and I hate to see it continue.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:58 PM

"Seconds later I heard 6 shotgun blasts." And this means there shooting deer? I would think if they were doing something illegal the might not shot so much. Is there any other season in? Did you see them shooting at deer? I don't know if its the case but sometimes I think hunters give other hunters bad names by assuming things.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Neighbors shooting deer out of season (UPDATE)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.