Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cigerette smoke??

Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Cigerette smoke??

Can Cigerette smoke scare off dear??
Old 12-19-2007, 10:52 AM

Default RE: Cigerette smoke??

No worse than human odor! I smoke, but I really limit it.The more scent in the air the more likely you are of being busted. Thats why you should always hunt into the wind.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know a lot of very successful bowhunters that smoke and the deer never seem bothered by it....my dad did for all of his bowhunting career...killed a lot of deer with a lit cigarette.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

I know a lot of very successful bowhunters that smoke and the deer never seem bothered by it....my dad did for all of his bowhunting career...killed a lot of deer with a lit cigarette.
That sounds stupid, he killed a lot of deer while smoking a cigarette!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cigarette smoke??

Yeah many have killed deer while smoking but how deer did they not see because of the cigarettes.I guess we or they will never know. Somebody should do a study on this, seriously. I used to smoke a while back, but would not smoke in the woods, I didn't want to take any chances.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use to smoke, been smoke free for 13 months now. i seen deer when i smoked in my stand but i can honestly say i've killed more deer this year than any other year before. i've also scouted harder and put in ALOT more time preparing for the upcoming hunting season. so i can not honestly say this yearssuccess is because of not smoking or better preperation. one things for sure, i feel alot better andi don't cough all the time like i use too.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Here in Illinois, come the first of the year, your stand is going to be about the only place you can smoke! Not sure if it effects them or not. People say they kill deer while smoking,butwas the wind in their favor?I don't smoke while on stand, to much movement, plus the smell....why risk it!

I guess play the wind or leave them in the truck while hunting.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Truth I think SKOAL has scared more Deer with me than smoking.

big rockpile
Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 PM

Smoking in the woods causes forest fires.. and you wouldn't wanna get smokey the bear mad now would ya
Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 AM

I think the movement and racket would be worse than the smell. Lotta smokers, me included have killed deer while smoking.

Having said that, my best sucess with deer hunting has happened at times when I've not been smoking (I mean totally quit, haven't smoked at all for long time). I think it has more to do with my nervous system than deer smelling me or not.

This year I quit right after gun season, and I don't intend to smoke a single puff until the next time I take a deer. I always carry tobacco when I'm hunting, offer some in thanks for a deer, and I'll have a smoke after taking a deer also. Next year I'm gonna be so calm, so in shape, take the biggest buck of my life.

Quick Reply: Cigerette smoke??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.