Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need advice with hunting Wisconsin >

Need advice with hunting Wisconsin

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice with hunting Wisconsin

Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Spike

Default Need advice with hunting Wisconsin

Hey guys, I am from North Carolina and may have the opportunity to go to Cadott, Wisconsin in Chippewa County to deer hunt next year. I have a friend of a friend who I talked to, and her parents own 280 acres there. She said nobody hunts it and if I was wanting to go hunting there next year, her mom and brother would post the land to keep others off.

She said its rolling hills with corn fields along with a swamp in the mix. Now, I know absolutely nothing about hunting there, so I was just wondering if anyone on here did? I looked on the Boone & Crockett deer map and looks as if Chippewa county is a very good county to hunt in considering it borders a couple others where a lot of very big deer have been killed. When would be the best time to go? I know archery is through mid November there and then gun starts. Any trip advice would be very helpful!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need advice with hunting Wisconsin

You are gonna find the deer in NC don't even compair to them here and you'd love it. Best time to hunt is gonna be Nov 1st up till gun hunting which is usually around Nov. 18th. Those two weeks are your best bet with the rut being right in the middle on average. Hills corn and swamp are a great combo. Theyll hold lots of deer and big bucks at that. If you got the chance come and hunt it and Id come to scout it before you decide to come and huntand find the bedding areas, feeding areas, any good funnels that might present themselves on the farm, and get multiple stands hung before you come for your hunt. WCL
Old 12-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Getting a good aerial photo and topoof the area would be a big help to you. If you can get a plat map of that area you could get the aerial from google and establish the land lines ahead of time.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Spike

So my best bet is to come the first 2 weeks in November. That's bow season, which is fine. I've looked on a gis map online trying to find the land, but am not having luck being able to identify names on parcels of land. Also, it looks to me as if the property lines are all in squares like a grid all given a number as in 19, 20, 21, 22, etc...It's in like southeastern Chippewa county on 270th St. Do you guys know anything about hunting this particular county? Just remember, I do not know what this part of the country even looks like.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

O my bad I was thinking I was on the bow hunting forum, haha. Sorry. Well if you love bowhuntign there is nothing better than hunting the midwest during the rut and would say youd have a blast. If you are partial to gun the gun season can be very good as well. Or maybe a combo of a week of both but that would require two license and outta state may get a bit expensive I guess..... I don't know that area of the state but typically your gonna find hard woods tmber with lots of oaks and such along with thickets and heavy brush areas possible. Your swamp is gonna have lots of tall grass, willows, some trees of maples and such. Also your rolling farm land can give you great funnles from the woods areas and swamp to the fields with fence line maybe, small valleys or ridges running to the fields,or narrow parts of the woods between swamps and woods. Your deer are typically gonna bed on your thickest parts of your woods along the ridge tops and down in the swaps as well. Getting along the bedding areas and between there and feeding ares is key as well as funnels. WCL
Old 12-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your going to love hunting in Wisconsin, especially in November. The leaves should be off by then and the Rutt action can be seen all over. Corn, Corn, Corn! With hills and swamp, find the travel routs from the corn to the bedding area and your golden.

Good luck der guy!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot to mention that if the corn is up when your hunting, That WILL BE the bedding area. Then find your water source and travle routs to and from. And if you happen to be there shortly after the field gets picked, within a week anyway, deer seem to flock to the field and eat alot within that time. and alot of farmers will till the land before it freezes and then the corn is gone....Alternate food source should be in your plan aswell.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Spike

Does anyone know anything about Chippewa county, WI. Cadott, WI is where I'd be hunting
Old 12-20-2007, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: usahoe18

So my best bet is to come the first 2 weeks in November. That's bow season, which is fine. I've looked on a gis map online trying to find the land, but am not having luck being able to identify names on parcels of land. Also, it looks to me as if the property lines are all in squares like a grid all given a number as in 19, 20, 21, 22, etc...It's in like southeastern Chippewa county on 270th St. Do you guys know anything about hunting this particular county? Just remember, I do not know what this part of the country even looks like.
The numbers you are referring to are probably section numbers. All land in the US is divided into sections, which are a mile square. Figure out which section(s) the land you will be hunting is in, then obtain an aerial photo. It is critical for you to have a decent photo, with the property lines identified. A topographic map would also be helpful, then you can determine where the swamps and hills are. Go to the Chippewa County website, there will be an interactive GIS map with ownership, photo, topographic, all the info you need. (I assume you know the name of the landowner) Get help from a geek if need be.

The rut is over rated. I'd come in mid to late October when the leaves are in full color. Then at least if you get skunked you'll enjoy being out there. It's not as cold then either. The deer are actually just as active and more vulnerable during the pre-rut, which occurs in Oct. There should be oaks in the woods, with acorns, I'd key in on that food source. Deer will feed on acorns during the day, especially in cooler weather. Alfalfa fields can be very attractive to deer also, particularly for evening hunts. The land you describe sounds very awesome. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: usahoe18

Does anyone know anything about Chippewa county, WI. Cadott, WI is where I'd be hunting
Want me to go scout it out for you? I live 5 miles from Cadott.

Quick Reply: Need advice with hunting Wisconsin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.