Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Control

Old 12-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent Control

Oh yeah, and ALWAYS pay attention to wind.

I would like anyone to show me one professional deer hunting article that scent/wind doesn't matter... Good luck!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was my clothes in scent-away detergent...put them in a scent free plastic bag with baking soda to neutralize any odor.....then i spray them with scent-away spray.....then i spray my gear down.I always hunt a stand only when the wind direction is right.

Oh yeah.....i dont go walking around wal-mart, gas stations, fast food places, or the bow shop with my hunting gear on EVER! It cracks me up when people do this....unless they plan on washing their clothes when they get home.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: walker12

yea man, its way too easy to get caught up in the whole scent cover deal. do the essentials, but don't be a freak about it.
My hunting clothes are hanging in my attic all year round except 2 weeks before opening day.. 2 weeks before opening day I take them from the attic and hang everything outside in the dry to air out.. Once opening day comes, I place my hunting gear in the bed of my truck and drive to my hunting area.. Once there I take my Scent-A-Way (Fresh Earth Smell) and spray everything before I head into the woods..
I too spook more dear moving around than I do getting busted!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Timbercruiser hit the nail on the head. They will wind you if you're scent is blowing to their nose - no way around it...
Old 12-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

before you head out, pick up some grass, toss it up in the air and see which way the wind is blowing. Other than that, the rest is marketing bs.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Fork Horn

I just carry some talc powder, and adjust when needed.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I check the weather to see which way the wind is blowing.
exactly. scent control helps, but you can't aasume it will do everything you need. I've seen first hand the differences and improvements with scent control, but only when the wind was right.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM

I'm going to invent scent free gun oil and gun powder. I think I could make millions off from it.

I don't believe that deer equate human scent with danger, but they don't the smell of guns and gun powder. Just doesn't make sense to me at all.

And you would think they would equate the smell, sound and sight of vehicles with danger, but from the looks of the roads in my area it doesn't phase them one bit. They stand right in the middle of the road or run out in front of you.

I honestly believe movement and noise screw you more than scent does.

Paul
Old 12-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

actually there is scent free oil for guns... I use it. Again, anything that can reduce my odor "footprint"

Are you trying to tell me a deer has never snort/wheezed at you?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

the easyest thing you can do is store your hunting clothes somewhere seperate from other clothes . i have a closet just for camo. before the season i will wash everything ,air dry and cut some fresh cedar hunks and put in with them. use what ever is in your hunting area ,lots of cedars where i hunt.

i use a spray called ODORLOCK during bow season i keep a big bottle in my truck and a small spray bottle in my pack,the key is use it.if its hot and i'm sweaty iuse it hourly. as the season goes on into gun i stop worrying about scent control as much. hunting on farms,step in some cow poop,the deer smell it all the time. i have use freshearth cover also.use what is natural to your area.

Quick Reply: Scent Control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.