Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what should i go for

Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what should i go for

ok i got my mossberg 500 smoothbore
for xmas this year i can shotgun hunt nov 17 to dec 2nd and muzzle-loader like DEC 8th to DEC 28th i think

i plan to buy some much need hunting stuff and on my 08 list is a rifled barrel or slug gun or a muzzle loader or a new option in Indiana is a pistol cal rifle

i have a bow and bow season is Oct 1 to Jan 6th minus one or two days during shotgun season
since i have the smooth bore i can use it out to around 50 yards.
and i can use a muzzleloader during modern firearms season which would give me use of a muzzleloader during Nov 17th to dec 23rd both gun season and muzzle loader season which give me a extra 3 weeks for muzzle loader then shotgun

so should i buy a rifled barrel for my 500 or a slug gun not sure which i wont to do yet or just buy a new muzzle loader
Old 12-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what should i go for

I hunt in IN and would recommend a good inline muzzleloader..
Old 12-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

mayber you can answer something for me then canyou use a muzzleloader during gun season i read that a muzzleloader liecence wasnot good for gun season but it says under modern gn season you cna use a shotgn pistl rifler or muzzleloader whas up if i knew these two weeks ago when i bought my 500 i would have went with a inline
ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

I hunt in IN and would recommend a good inline muzzleloader..
Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

You can always use rifled slugs in the smoothbore shotgun, therefore saving the money you'd spend on a rifled barrel.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

i know i have some aswell how far can i shoot a rifled slug in a smoothbore

the thing about the muzzleloader is i can get 2 deer for bow season 1 for gun then 1 for muzzleloader season which if i buy the muzzleloader is one more deer i can get
ORIGINAL: Beezer

You can always use rifled slugs in the smoothbore shotgun, therefore saving the money you'd spend on a rifled barrel.