HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   how long will frozen meat last? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/223058-how-long-will-frozen-meat-last.html)

yakuza wiz 12-17-2007 01:41 PM

how long will frozen meat last?

i have some meat from last season in the freezer and i'm just wondering how long it might last?
sorry for the back to back threads.

sjsfire 12-17-2007 01:48 PM

RE: how long will frozen meat last?

My family is still enjoying 2005 meat. My processor uses the vacuum sealer. Keeping the air away that causes freezer burn is the key to making your meat last longer.

Rhody Hunter 12-17-2007 01:57 PM

i'd eat it up . if vacum sealed about 1 1/2 years maybe two but you would be pushing it . Heck just eat it ,it doesn't last that long around my house

kmunny19 12-17-2007 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

My family is still enjoying 2005 meat. My processor uses the vacuum sealer. Keeping the air away that causes freezer burn is the key to making your meat last longer.
same here. when I get meat processed, I have it vacuum sealed, and when I do it myself, I use the Food Saver.

Schultzy 12-17-2007 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Wow! Thats along time in the freezer without burning. Gotta get me one of them.

waiting_for_a_gift 12-17-2007 03:20 PM

I have a roast in the crock pot as we speak, from 10/06. I expect it to be delicious. I just use freezer paper, got no use for those vaccum sealers. They're expensive, and the seals fail quite often.

White-tail-deer 12-17-2007 04:59 PM

I've never had a seal fail?? I have eaten meat two years old that was vaccuum sealed and it was fine!

OH moster buck 12-17-2007 05:07 PM

vaccuum pack is the only wat to go.

Carpmaster 12-17-2007 06:03 PM

Id just try to eat it up as soon as possible...how could someone have leftovers before the new season???!!:D

skeeter 7MM 12-18-2007 12:03 AM

I never have meat left over personally, but you can tell when its freezer burnt by colour and smell. If just touched trim off the burn and the rest should be fine. I have doneit many times for people for sausage that was packaged poorlyand it turns out just fine. If it smells off then I wouldn't eat it.

If packaged properly due to the lack of fat in venison it should last 12 months. I use a vac pack for sausage typically, when it comes to steaks, roasts or hamburgerI double wrap and have heard many times from customers that the meat is just fine the next year with this method.