Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how long will frozen meat last? >

how long will frozen meat last?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how long will frozen meat last?

Old 12-18-2007, 03:35 AM

Default RE: how long will frozen meat last?

vacuming packing is the way to go especially for fish and crab meat, im pennsylvania it is illegal to have deer meat in your freezer when the next season comes around.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:39 AM

ORIGINAL: rockpile rob

vacuming packing is the way to go especially for fish and crab meat, im pennsylvania it is illegal to have deer meat in your freezer when the next season comes around.
LOL LOL LOL now thats funny!

I also live in pennsylvania and I just some deer burger out of the freezer that I shot in november of 05 and used it to make jerkey and it was just fine and all i used was freezer paper..
Old 12-18-2007, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Something else to consider to avoid freezer burn is to place your meat in the freezer when it frozen. When you’re looking for that package at the bottom of the freezer and you have to put all that meat back, don’t just chuck it back in the freezer like a piece of wood just because it frozen. Place the meat back to avoid damaging the seal and to prevent freezer burn...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I give my venison a coat of veggie oil to seal off the surface before wrapping it in two layers of plastic wrap and an overwrap of aluminum foil and make sure to squeeze out all of the air between them and the meat . I have two year old venison in the freezer that tastes just like I shot it yesterday. Freezing cold air and oxygen are the enemies of frozen food.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Freezing cold air and oxygen are the enemies of frozen food.
That's why you should invest in a vacum seal system. Once you get one you will ask yourself why didn't I do this a long time ago. It's a necessity for keeping fish for a long period of time. I freeze all of my fish and game in vacum sealed bags. You can get one for $100. That's not so terribly expensive.