Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dead or not

Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dead or not

So basically you guys have NO idea where the deer is hit yet you have a bunch of people telling you the deer is dead.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

I was was just asking because I was curious what others thought. I did. do not want this to be a big argument. Like I said I talk to this guy 3-4 times a year. He is not my buddy.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

All of the liver shots I have seen die VERY fast, almost as fast as lung....Could be severe muscle damage....if it wasnt going very far and continuously bedding sounds like it will die...
Old 12-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not picking on you for asking, I think that's a good thing that you come here looking for answers.

But a whole lot of people are automatically going with a dead deer scenerio when there isn't a whole lot of detailed facts known.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

It is very hilly where this happened. I would say 80 yards to the bottom of the hills. It ran down one hill, and half way up another and bedded there. Then about 80 yards from the first bed is where we heard him take off.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

From your description it sounds like the blood may have been sparse. It's hard to say where the hit was. A mule kick usually indicates a good hit, but if you said that it was not heart/lung blood it may be a tough trail. You made the right call saying you should initially wait.

Good luck, hopefully he finds him.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:41 AM

being a avid archer i know the sights of diffrent shot placement it sounds as though he did indeed shot high and back at 200 yards and a bed with a vollyball.
First qustion was the blood clotting?
second qustoin did you guys mark the last spots of blood even though it might not be there when you get back at least you will have a good direction to which way he was traveling.
third how hard was he running after he was hit?
I'm not sure because im from pennsylvania but are season ended last saturday and we cant hunt on sundays so if it was yesterday (12/16/07) and you said it was 20 degrees out the deer will be fine if the coyoties dont feast on him good luck to the both of yens but i really do think you should have a dead deer some where. Heres some more tips on finding him( look down hill and also if there is any water near by when a animal is fately wounded they usally look for water) good luck post more if you have any more ?'s and please let us know if you get him

Old 12-17-2007, 11:42 AM

opps volleyball size pool of blood sorry!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, after he got up from the first bed down the blood was clotting and becoming sparse.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

All of the liver shots I have seen die VERY fast, almost as fast as lung....Could be severe muscle damage....if it wasnt going very far and continuously bedding sounds like it will die...
From my experiences, liver shots can take much longer than a lung. With a lung shot, the lungs fill with blood and the animal can no longer introduce oxygen into the blood. A liver shot is usually fatal, but not nearly as quick. Two seasons ago my bowstring caught my bulky sleeve on an incredibly cold morning and I hit a bit far back(liver). I gave the animal 8 hours and when I followed up the trail, he was bedded andstill alive and needed one more arrow.