Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck shot illegal???

Old 12-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: buck shot illegal???

Its illegal to have in your possession while afield during Deer Hunting Season in NY.

Not saying it won't work, I think 00 buckshot is about .32" if I remember right. Certaintly not a small chunk of lead.

Another thiing to consider is size of your deer that you are hunting. I know all deer in the south aren't small, but I think you'll agree that in many places they are fairly small compared to Deer generally in the North.

FH
Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

alright wingchaser labs and stabnslab if you want to post comments about this topic fine if not please dont. i dont want to argue with you guys anymore. lets agree to disagree. i think a deer stuck in a swing is not funny you think it is funny. alright no hard feelings. i ws in the wrong to say im gonna flag that video i didnt mean that
I'm confused man. I made that comment before you removed yourself from the other issue and haven't commented to you about it since then and I continued to say this was a good topic andquit withthe jokes after that comment. If you think me talking about slugs and what ever isn'ttopic relatedenough for this thread I'll remove myself.I'm done with that other topic anyway considering people piss and moan and are scared of antis taking every little thing sportsman do and thinkthey aregonna ruin our lives. To tell ya the truth I'm fairly literal and don't ever see bills getting passed to abolish guns and hunting although some changes may occur and modifications be made but everyone has their opinions. Not gonna start a debate about that here so if someone wants to comment to it start a new thread and I'll continue...... Other than that lets talk buck shot. WCL
Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

is buckshot more expensive than slugs?
can you use buckshot for hogs?
We shoot the bernake (missspelled I'm sure) slugs and we get them for 2 bucks a box of 5 or you can get the remington ones for like 4 bucks a box. The sabot slugs are really exspensive at up to 17 and 20 bucks a box of 5. We use bird barrels so we shoot the cheap stuff. I don't know what buck shot costs though. WCL
Old 12-18-2007, 03:40 PM

all right wingchaser lets talk buckshot
so buckshot doesnt spread?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

It spreads just like any shot. Thats why it isnt real effective past 40 yards. Shot spreads and less are gonna hit those vital areas plus the shot will lose velocity the farther it goes cuz they are light compaired to slugs. All the energy is dispersed through the 9 pellets (I think thats whats in00buck) instead of all of it like in a slug.I've only shot it a couple times so maybe other guys could explainwhat kind of patterning and penetration they get with their buck shot at 40 yards. WCL
Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

My two cents if anyone is interested. Before I get started on my rant I'll give you a little background info. My best friend was shot by someone shooting at a running deer, he almost died and he's permanently injured from the ordeal.
For those of you who use buckshot on running deer because you think that you have a better chance of hitting him you're wrong. For buckshot to be effective the deer has to be hit with most if not all of the pellets. If you can hit him with the entire load of buckshot you would have hit him with a slug.
For everyone who thinks that buckshot can "penetrate a thicket" you should have your hunting license revoked for life. I you don't have a clear shot, DON'T SHOOT!!!!!!! I don't care if the deer has 47 points and double drop tines. Take my word for it, seeingmy best friendget shot is the worst thing that I've ever had to go through. The first rule that is taught at the hunter safety course is to know your target and beyond.
Even if used properly buckshot leaves a poor blood trail. Slugs on the other hand make a large hole and leave a great bloodtrail. I've never lost a deer that was hit with a slug.
If you hunt in anarea that only allows shotguns use slugs. If you can't afford a fancy slug gun there are other options. I have an old Marlin goose gun that I cut the barrel down to 20". I also glass bedded the receiver and mounted a scope. Out to 100 yards I'll put this gun up against any rifled barrel, sabot shooting "slug gun". With 1 ounce Winchester rifled slugs I can hold a three inch group at 100 yards. If all you have is your bird gun go buy a bunch of different types and brand of rifled slugs and find out which one shoots the best. Like I said before, if you can hit him with buckshot you can hit him with a slug.
For those of you who use buckshot properly I'm not chastising you for using it, I just believe that a lot of hunters have the wrong idea about buckshots capabilities. When I hear people talking about using it to shoot through brush or taking long shots because they have feel that they only need one pellet to kill a deer I cringe. Please hunt safely and remember that we're all out in the woods enjoying a sport that we love, our families shouldn't have to worry about us while were doing it.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't see much of a comparison between shooting ducks and shooting deer. For one, rifles are illegal for waterfowl. Second, you are throwing lots of little pellets at smaller sized game, A few pellets hit, bird goes down. As for buckshot, it is illegal in many areas because it is not one of the better tools for the job. OO buck has 9 pellets at .30 dia. #3 buck has twice the pellets at .24 dia.
Except at very close range you might not hit with more than a couple of the larger pellets. So, you are shooting basicly by "pointing" rather than a true aim. Add in that buckshot is not going to expand, so you don't get much hydostatic shock value, you can hit a deer with 5 or 6 pellets, but if they hit muscle, guts, legs or even lungs much of the bleeding will be internal! The deer will certainly die, but will he die in your county or not?!?
I know I've said a lot, just to say this, "there arefar too many better options than buckshot to justify its use!"
Old 12-18-2007, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

is buckshot more expensive than slugs?
can you use buckshot for hogs?
We shoot the bernake (missspelled I'm sure) slugs and we get them for 2 bucks a box of 5 or you can get the remington ones for like 4 bucks a box. The sabot slugs are really exspensive at up to 17 and 20 bucks a box of 5. We use bird barrels so we shoot the cheap stuff. I don't know what buck shot costs though. WCL

You made a 80 yard heart shot on a running deer with a unrifled barrel and slugs? I think the term we use around here for that is "luck".

I've patterened some buckshot loads through a few of my 12's and have found that 00 never seems to pattern well with a really tight choke. My 500 and 1100 both shoot it better with improved.

I can't say that I've ever taken a shot at a deer with buckshot...but I don't think I'd have any problems using it as a deep brush load....somewhere 50 yards would be a long shot.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: leben_sie_gut

You made a 80 yard heart shot on a running deer with a unrifled barrel and slugs? I think the term we use around here for that is "luck".
I would agree that a heart shot is luck but the fact that theslug can be placed in the shoulder region isn't. You'd be suprised how good the bird barrels will throw slugs out there to 100 yards. I hit the paper plate at 100 yards practicing befor season 3of 5 times with the other 2only a couple inches from the plate. That equals 5 dead deer if ya ask me. And at 50 yards I'll hit that plate every time. Sure some may call it luck to hit the deer runnin in the heart and I will too but to put it in the vitals and put that deer down isnt luck. Its practice and being comfortable with what you shoot. WCL
Old 12-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: leben_sie_gut

I can't say that I've ever taken a shot at a deer with buckshot...but I don't think I'd have any problems using it as a deep brush load....somewhere 50 yards would be a long shot.
Buck shot is not a brush bustin load at all. Those light pellets are stopped very easily by brush and won't make it anywhere near your deer. A slug on the otehr hand will bust through alot. Thats why when guys shoot rifle loads and know they may be takin shots in brushy areas they go with a much heavier gr bullet than normal. Its physics, heavier bullet is gonna go through more. WCL

Quick Reply: buck shot illegal???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.