Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Truth on Antler Scores.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Truth on Antler Scores.

Score doesn't mean everything....I have seen way too many 120" bucks look way bigger(besides looking awesome!)to knock any buck by score!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

When someone tells me that he saw or killed a "big" deer, my first question is what would/did he score. The word "big" in describing a deer is a relative term. What is "big" to Joe Meat Hunter might be a 18 month old 6 point. A score is just a number, but if someone tells me that he shot a 140" 8 point, I have a very good mental picture of what size deer he is talking about. A score, in my mind, is a much better description of a deer than the number of points or body weight. As an example, if I tell you that I made a "long" shot at a deer, what comes to mind? Would you be thinking 200, 300, 400 yards? On my place, a 100 yard shot is a LONG shot. The term "long" is not a very good description in that case.

Antler scoring is really the only universal way to judge a deer that can be communicated between other hunters.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

When someone tells me that he saw or killed a "big" deer, my first question is what would/did he score. The word "big" in describing a deer is a relative term. What is "big" to Joe Meat Hunter might be a 18 month old 6 point. A score is just a number, but if someone tells me that he shot a 140" 8 point, I have a very good mental picture of what size deer he is talking about. A score, in my mind, is a much better description of a deer than the number of points or body weight. As an example, if I tell you that I made a "long" shot at a deer, what comes to mind? Would you be thinking 200, 300, 400 yards? On my place, a 100 yard shot is a LONG shot. The term "long" is not a very good description in that case.

Antler scoring is really the only universal way to judge a deer that can be communicated between other hunters.

I agree with this, but want to add that I prefer to use the gross score. It more accurately depicts the true size of the buck.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just killed a 4.5 yr old 8 point that didnt break 130. This area is know for huge bucks as well. I can tell ya one thing though......what he lacked in inches he more than made up for in attitude and dominance...lol. He had a huge body and I personally witnessed him kick some major butt. This makes my 2nd one that would qualify for a state archery certificate but I would never have them officially scored. I could care less about the score but the memories are priceless. The stories behind the deer and worth far more than any number you could attach to them. I can honestly say that my knees wouldnt shake any harder ifI hadkilled the world record...lol...and when them knees quit shaking is when I quit hunting.

I always judge the deer by the area. I have seen dead deer being checked in where I gun hunt that would stop traffic and wouldnt come close to 120...however you can bet your ass theres a real good chance you could hunt all your life there and never kill a bigger one. A 120 inch buck up there would be the equivalent to a 160 inch down here. People that are hung up on numbers are cheating themselves. The only real thing they are good for is like retrieverman said...just for a mental picture. My hardest earned trophy that I am the proudest of any was not even close tot he biggest I have been lucky enough to kill.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The REAL truth about antler scores is the hunters ego. They have very little significance otherwise in the scheme of things. Like a high scoring buck has any significance to anyone but the hunter or other hunters who crave for similar status symbols that killing a high scoring buck brings. As with many things in modern society many seem to get some sort of joy out of claiming that mine is bigger or better than the other guys. There really isn't much more to it than that I am sorry to say.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I agree with this, but want to add that I prefer to use the gross score. It more accurately depicts the true size of the buck.

Absolutely

Old 12-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

I completely agree..........Very well said Dirt......
I love to ask and I love to hear the B&C score of any buck.......one thing I don't like is for someone to say "you shota 120 B&C buck" ? First of all hunting a low fence ranch your chances (inTexas anyway)of seeing bucks that score more than 145 are rare. I'm sure some of you have shot bucks like that, but for deer hunting as a whole, the millions that do it, its rare. I have yet to shoot a buck that scores 140, and I still have shoulder mounts on the wall. The 2 bucks Im most proud of, because of where they were shot, and who was with me,both are around 110 and 115 B&C,and I love them both. Its the hunt that surrounds the buck that makes the buck.........to me anyway. Just my opinion.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

I 100 % agree with dirt.

My two best bucks are a 7.5 yr old nine point shot with a .450 Marlin rifle and a 2.5 year old 11 point shot with a PSE Carroll Intruder. I would not take one more B&C (or P&Y) point for the experience that both of these deer represent to me. Sure I'd love to kill a big bruiser and I spend some time every year in Illinois (and GA) trying to get one, but it's the experience there too and that's probably why I haven't shot one there yet either.

Oh yeah, I got a super buck figured out right now. Haven't seen him except on trail cam though at midnight. But when I see him he will be a prize. He'll probably go 120 or so and is4-5 yrs old or so, but if I can pull it off on a deer I've never seen and is pretty much nocturnal, that is a prize.

Oh yeah, I dabble with the scores too so what did mine score?
7.5 year old 9 pointer - 113 3/8
2.5 year old 11 pointer - 109 7/8
Old 12-14-2007, 12:37 PM

I agree with most of what's been said here, but I'd like to add that body weight is a meaningful number for me. I'm still waiting for my first 180 pounder (field dressed). I hunt in WI, and my hope is that he'll score 140, but that is secondary.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Iam a hunter that enjoys the outdoors seeing all sizes of bucks and fortunate enough to live in such an area. I have shot my share of 150 to 170plus bucks. I have seen bigger into the 200 plus, but have not connected. This keeps me pumped up for the next season, I dont shoot them unless I see them bigger than what I have already shot, so I go without in some years. All my deer are typical that I have taken. I now find my self looking for character in the rack. MEAT is not important to me so I hold off and wait for big bucks.When I do shoot a deer the meat goes to the needy.My favorite saying it seems " Well next year things will be different"

What is important is the outting. I seem to pick up a camera alot more than a rifle. I enjoy the challenges that confront me some days.I enjoy natures beauty, peacefulness and its a time to reflect on different matters.

Iam a land owner and plant fantastic plots which attracts alot of game to my land ( plus Iam surrounded by land where no hunting is allowed. ) I spend countless hours preparing areas, blinds and much more and after all that I get more enjoyment out of taking friends to get a big buck especially young hunters. Near the end of their hunts if they have not shot a good buck they will take a odd ball buck to remove protect the gene pool, have meat and the thrill of a kill if they wish to.

I score many deer that are shot and love doing so and will continue to do so. To me its all part of the hunt, everyone guessing who is closest. It seem every hunter I know personally enjoys the scoring no matter what the size ,be it 100 inches or a monster. One young lad shot a spiker and couldnt wait to see what is scored yet he was the most proud hunter there a smile from ear to ear. It was huge for him and being his first.

I dont think scoring takes away the memories of a hunt but can add to it,

Just the way I feel about it

Quick Reply: Truth on Antler Scores.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.