Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2-way radio range boost?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Spike

Default 2-way radio range boost?

I read online somewhere that you could boost the range of your 2-way radios with some minor alterations. Is anyone familiar with this process or atleast heard about somene doing it. I would really like to get more distance out of my midlands. Got them onsale at aldi (16mile range rechargeable with charger and packs for 12.99) and bought 2 pair.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2-way radio range boost?

You need more than a 16 mile range? Seems like a long way to be two way comunicating. I usualy use a cell myself.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know the specifics but I do know if you WERE able to boost the ouput you would be violating the law. You would also void your warranty. I know electronics wizards can perform miracles with a solder gun and a little wire but not on my radio, they don't.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:06 AM
Banned

Steve is right. Alter your radio and the FCC will see to it that you be doing hard time with "Bubba the Technician".
Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cells are so much better and more secure, you dont have everyone and their uncle listening to what youre doing.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:44 PM

I really don't think the range would be good anyway... Everyone that hunts in our group have the same brand and model walky talkies and we still have a extremely hard time reaching out to one another and we are within a 1 mile range.. Our walky talkies are even a 12 miles range!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

"... I need this admonition: Do not be tempted to install a linear amplifier for illegal transmission in excess of five watts. That would be like waving a red flag to the FCC. Remember: "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down."

Seems like a clue...
Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input. I didn't think about it being illegal. We can't use our cell phones because no one can get a signal. I guess I will just use what I have for now and buy something stronger later.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: woundedbuck

Thanks for the input. I didn't think about it being illegal. We can't use our cell phones because no one can get a signal. I guess I will just use what I have for now and buy something stronger later.
Better check your local law...here in iowa your not supposed to used any type of 2-way radios/ or cell phones with walkie talkie during deer seasons. Even cell phones themselves are frowned apon.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:55 PM

get a 2-meter ham radio and a license. they will talk a long ways. As for the FCC looking for a souped up handheld radio give me a break they have better things to do.