Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you process your own deer?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you process your own deer?

I cut mine into steaks, roasts, chili meat, and if I do jerky I do that on my own. I've been sending the rest to a processor to make into sausage, but I'm debating on that. They charged me $50 to make 12lbs of deer meat into 24lbs of german sausage adding 12lbs of pork to it. Still cheaper than you can buy the sausage but not by much.

I'm amazed that so many people don't make steaks out of a deer. Several folks I've talked to around here just send the entire deer off to be made into sausage, etc. Seems like a waste to me.

It takes me about 3 hours by myself to go from a quartered deer to having it cut and packaged. Making jerky takes a while, but it isn't constant work by any means, it's checking the oven every hour or so and flipping it over. I like my jerky a little on the thick side so it takes about 6 hours in the oven at 185 to get it dried out. I can do about 5lbs at a time in the oven and the last time I made a batch of jerky I made 15lbs.

One thing that I did was spent some money onone of thosevaccumm food saver contraptions. It is SO much easier than messing with freezer paper and does a better job too. I spent $90 for the food saver and it costs $10 or so for a roll of the vaccumm bags and that is good for a full size deer.

I also feel that processing it on my own I end up with better quality in the end and there is never any doubt about how the meat was handled.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine processes deer on the side, and make good money doing it. He only charges me 40 a deer but i only get steaks, ground venison,and sausage.As cheap as it is from him iusually processseveral bucks and give away the rest.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

I do everything but the sausage and deer sticks. The only thing holding me back on that is the sausage stuffer and smoker. I'm hoping by next season to have saved up enough to acquire a nice electric or propane smoker. I got a pretty good processing DVD from askthemeatman.com and usually re-watch it every year before hunting season starts. Me and my son can bone and process a deer in 2-3 hours. Vacuum sealer is definitely the way to go.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

People does not realize how labor intensive it is to make jerky and sasage. I heave people asking me to make them up a pound. for me to debone, and sort thru a hind quarter, and slice into 1/4" slices, and cure overnight, and dry takes hours.

Just to skin, quarter, debone, slice into steak, grind, package and put in a freezer takes me over 5 hours. So before jumping into the processing game, realize it takes some time.
I know it takes time but look at what the out come is. You know for sure that it is you animal not somebody elses and makes you appreciatewhen you have done from start (pulling the trigger)to finish (setting at the dinner table)when you take the first bit.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: 700xcr

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

People does not realize how labor intensive it is to make jerky and sasage. I heave people asking me to make them up a pound. for me to debone, and sort thru a hind quarter, and slice into 1/4" slices, and cure overnight, and dry takes hours.

Just to skin, quarter, debone, slice into steak, grind, package and put in a freezer takes me over 5 hours. So before jumping into the processing game, realize it takes some time.
I know it takes time but look at what the out come is. You know for sure that it is you animal not somebody elses and makes you appreciatewhen you have done from start (pulling the trigger)to finish (setting at the dinner table)when you take the first bit.
What I was trying to explain to the post was, the guy was upset at the price. But obviously doens't know all goes into it. I kill 5-6 deer a year, and couldn't afford to process them. But, I mostly steak them out and grill them. For a person who doens't like deer meat and wants only to make sausage adn jerky, processing makes much more sense.

I myself would quit deer hunting, if I didn't enjoy the meat. But thats me.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:57 AM

[/quote]
[/quote]

Roger that. I know it's personal preference, but it pains me to hear when people grind up the loins to make sausage or burger meat.

I finally got around to processing one myself last week, I forgot how much work it is, plus, unless you have a cuber and meat grinder, you end upwith a lotjerky meat. I found a good processor that charges $60 regardless of size, and they're meticulous. My time is definitley worth more than what they charge.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: gallred
[/quote]

Roger that. I know it's personal preference, but it pains me to hear when people grind up the loins to make sausage or burger meat.

I finally got around to processing one myself last week, I forgot how much work it is, plus, unless you have a cuber and meat grinder, you end upwith a lotjerky meat. I found a good processor that charges $60 regardless of size, and they're meticulous. My time is definitley worth more than what they charge.
[/quote]

I just done hunting on a guys land on the Eastern Shore of MD, and he told me he uses the deer hinds for crab bait in the summer. Made me want to puke.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 AM

I process all my deer and usually help out my budddies!
Sure, its alot of work, but I think its worth it! You get the cuts you want, you get it as clean as you want and you know it your animal!
I debone it, cut out the loins, the hams, cut up some steak/roasts, leave the nicer meat for what I call, FRYS! Uhmmm, fried vension with onions and mushrooms!
Oh, and everything left over goes through my grinder (with the sausage attachments), to made into burger and sausage! I have several spice recipes for sausage, so I like to make them! That is the most work out of the whole process, but definitely worth it, in my opinion! I don't make jerky, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of jerky, I'd rather the sausage.
I then run everything through my Food saver, its then vacuum sealed and good to go into the freezer!

Again, its alot of work, but worth it! I only paid about $200 for the grinder, $100 for the vacuum sealer! I have done 4 deer this year, 2 last year! You do the math!!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:10 AM

I never process my own, never have. It's only $55 per deer where I go though...
Old 12-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

We do it all ourselves..processed 6 deer this year so far..make bologna, summer sausage, hamburger and steaks or tips out of it..built our own smokehouse for it a few years ago too..that's really nice to have!!

Quick Reply: Do you process your own deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.