Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Rifles

Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Spike

Default RE: Deer Rifles

You don't need much smack for 150 yards on deer. It'd be worth it to try the 125 grain Federal loads and the Leverevolution Hornadyy loads before discounting the .30/30. Those loads have more velocity and the bullets open up faster to put more energy into the deer than the traditional, heavier loads.

However, it is always a good idea to have a backup. A .45/70 with cast lead would be suitable. If none of those is attractive a .308 class cartridge, including the 7mm-08 and .260 might be more appropriate and easier to handle than the /06 class stuff. 7mm-08s and .308s are just as affordable as /06s.

I use a .260 for what you'r talking about, btw. Might get a .40-65 one of these days so I can shoot my deer with free wheel weights.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

ORIGINAL: Ryan Campbell

If you are going to be seriously hunting deer I would stick to a bolt action. chances are that you'll eventually want to hunt bigger game so stick with what's reliable, and most accurate.

The 7mm vs. the 06 question is one of personal prefrence. Either one will do very well. You are correct that the 06 does come in bigger grain bullets but the 7mm is extremely fast, which is where it gets it's knock down power, and the bullet itself may not be as big around but it will usually be longer and able to carry more kinetic energy than some other "bigger" bullets.

However, It sounds like you should go with the 06 because of it's affordability, durability and the wide range of ammo available.

There will be a ton of replies to your question, there always are when someone asks an opinion on this forum, everything from "you should get an SKS" to "you need a .270", or " a .300 is better...."
Don't listen to the hoopla....go with the 06
Thats why i always vote for use what works and what you like because they all kill deer!
That is the key, they all kill deer!
I won't tell you what to get, but I'll tell you what I use and it works great!
I have a remmy 06 with 150 gr core-loks, stops them dead, literally!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 AM

the 30-06, also has some versaility as well. I hunted deer and elk this year and HOPEFULLY, GOD willing, I'll be hunting moose next!
With a heavier round, of course!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:22 PM

Ok so I have decided to go with the .06 as it seems its the do it all rifle. Im leaning the more I read towards bolt action just not sure yet. I found a nice Remmington .06 semi, 74 model, for $250.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:13 AM

Bolt action is more reliable and accurate!
Two things that make a good gun a great gun!
I have a bolt action and I love it!
Just my 2 cents!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Find yourself a used remington 700, winchester model 70, ruger model 77in 30-06, you can't go wrong. Should be able to pick one up for around $300. Don't goof around with an automatic. Lots of guys use em, but bolts are way better for a lot of reasons.

I think the Benoits out east romanticized the remington autos and pumps, and you can't argue, it works for them. It works for a lot of guys still, but bolts work better. I bought into it myself, owned a 742 for a few years. It was heavy, the trigger sucked, and it jammed on me once. I never did really open fire on a deer the way you fantasize about doing with an auto.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

really, pick whichever one you like better, can get a better deal on, gets more votes here, comes to you in a dream, or any other arbitrary selector brings youto. for deer, at the ranges you're talking about, you'll find no real world difference between the 7 and the 30-06. Also, if you ever do decide to hunt mule deer or elk, either will work well. If you have a favorite bullet type, check the different cartridges that use it for each caliber to see the availability, sizes,and price
I would recommend a bolt action. It makes a shooter, especially one who hasn't been hunting deer for long, concentrate on taking a better shot. A semi-auto can urge a shooter to take four bad shots really quickly, with the hopes that one hits. A bolt will inspirethe attitude of never taking a shot that you aren't positive will hit where you want it, because a wasted shot can't be followed up as quickly. Also, boltsare still likely to have slightly better overall accuracy than semi's, but not nearly as much as in the past.
I'd personally vote for the 7 mm, but only because I like the flatter trajectory and I do andwill take longer shots than you mentioned. But really, for what you need, you can't go wrong with either.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

just get a 270,308,30.06,7mm.08,25.06 it really doesn't matter which one.if you are not a reloader i'd go with 270 or 30.06 ,you can get ammo anywhere. but the key is to practice enough so you know what your gun will do.shoot at different ranges,from different positions .
Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Your choice of the 30-06 is a good one. I use a 7mm. mag. Like stated above, learn your gun, pratice with it as much as you can. Not just a week before season. Too many guys I know have to have the biggest badest magnums (338 mag)they can get. But if they can't shoot them accurately( because they flinch) what good are they? Good Luck, and don't put a cheap scope on it. LOL
Old 12-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with the 30-06 its all you will ever need for deer and most things bigger.