HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   killing dogs vs. hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/221987-killing-dogs-vs-hunting.html)

VT Outdoorsman 12-10-2007 06:19 PM

killing dogs vs. hunting

So in light of Mike Vick's recent sentencing....one of my best buddies and I were talking about this rediculousness. After talking about it for a while my buddy says something like, " I think fighting dogs is pretty much the same thing as hunting." Keep in mind he is not a hunter in any way shape or form, but this is just a hugely ignorant comment.... any thoughts?

johnnybravoo77 12-10-2007 06:31 PM

RE: killing dogs vs. hunting

Take him hunting!

farmcntry 12-10-2007 06:36 PM

I've heard about all the crap I want to hear about viciously killing a domesticated animal and comparing it to hunting.
There are several differences that come to mind right off the bat.
1. We don't torture the animals we pursue.
2. We hunt wild, free ranging animals; not pinned up where we can grab them and throw them in a pit.
3. We strive to ethically and quickly take them; not have them tortured until they die in vain.
4. After we take an animal we consume it, not cast it away to waste.
5. What we do is LEGAL!!!!!!!

VT Outdoorsman 12-10-2007 06:40 PM

Thats what i told him was the main big difference to me....we dont torture the animals, we try our best to kill them quickly and humanely.

GURU77 12-10-2007 06:43 PM

Without hunting wildlife would become overpopulated resulting in exstinction.

JayDeavor 12-10-2007 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Take him hunting!
I agree.. Defiantly different!

Champlain Islander 12-10-2007 08:31 PM

Ditto to what farmcntry said. He said it well.

timbercruiser 12-10-2007 08:50 PM

Vick was the ring leader in a multi state gambling organization, ie wagering on illegal dog fights. I think that is the basis of his federalsentencing. The cruelty to animal charges might be the state charges he is facing.

FtWorthHunter 12-10-2007 08:58 PM

You know, I can see it a bit of both ways. I know most here are pretty serious deer hunters and treat all game they hunt in the same manner they do deer. Most either lease land and others hunt public lands.

Here in Texas, we landowners face other problems. On different places, I have problems with several nuisance animals including: Hogs, aoudad sheep, coyotes, feral cats, and feral dogs. Even deer can bea problem in some areas, though not mine.

When I hunt game, I do it in an ethical manner. The game I hunt are mostly deer, but also dove, quail, pheasant, and at times ducks. When I'm out looking for these animals, I consider it hunting.

I can also hunt the other animals I've mentioned and would consider many of my sheep hunts to be actual hunts when out looking for big rams.

However, when I go out looking for hogs and the other animals, it's hardly hunting. We kill by any means necessary. Personally, I've never shot a feral cat (though I would) but have shot wild dogs when they were attacking a calf. Maybe it makes me a bad guy, but I could care less about a quick kill when going after these animals. We use assault rifles, firing hundreds of rounds, trying to hit everything we can. We chase them on ATV's, in trucks, trap them, snare them, poison them, and by any other means we can come up with (I've heard of people even using helicopters, but I havent' done it).

So, is what we do humane? That's probably up to others to decide. Is what we do necessary? Absolutely. The fact is, there are lots of wild non-native animals out there that do much more harm to the environment than good. These animals are a danger to humans, livestock, native wildlife, and native vegetation. I don't break any laws and all the means I described above are perfectly legal in Texas.

The fact is, there are laws against fighting dogs. Michael Vick broke the law. If laws are passed telling me I can't fire away at hogs, coyotes, etc., then I'll probably stop. Michael Vick knew better than to do what he did. Then he lied about his intentions and actions. Those are criminal acts and he's being treated like a criminal

NightFire 12-11-2007 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: FtWorthHunter

You know, I can see it a bit of both ways. I know most here are pretty serious deer hunters and treat all game they hunt in the same manner they do deer. Most either lease land and others hunt public lands.

Here in Texas, we landowners face other problems. On different places, I have problems with several nuisance animals including: Hogs, aoudad sheep, coyotes, feral cats, and feral dogs. Even deer can bea problem in some areas, though not mine.

When I hunt game, I do it in an ethical manner. The game I hunt are mostly deer, but also dove, quail, pheasant, and at times ducks. When I'm out looking for these animals, I consider it hunting.

I can also hunt the other animals I've mentioned and would consider many of my sheep hunts to be actual hunts when out looking for big rams.

However, when I go out looking for hogs and the other animals, it's hardly hunting. We kill by any means necessary. Personally, I've never shot a feral cat (though I would) but have shot wild dogs when they were attacking a calf. Maybe it makes me a bad guy, but I could care less about a quick kill when going after these animals. We use assault rifles, firing hundreds of rounds, trying to hit everything we can. We chase them on ATV's, in trucks, trap them, snare them, poison them, and by any other means we can come up with (I've heard of people even using helicopters, but I havent' done it).

So, is what we do humane? That's probably up to others to decide. Is what we do necessary? Absolutely. The fact is, there are lots of wild non-native animals out there that do much more harm to the environment than good. These animals are a danger to humans, livestock, native wildlife, and native vegetation. I don't break any laws and all the means I described above are perfectly legal in Texas.

The fact is, there are laws against fighting dogs. Michael Vick broke the law. If laws are passed telling me I can't fire away at hogs, coyotes, etc., then I'll probably stop. Michael Vick knew better than to do what he did. Then he lied about his intentions and actions. Those are criminal acts and he's being treated like a criminal

One of the big differences here is that fighting dogs are raised specifically to fight and suffer. When you are running an animal down, there is no premeditated thought of torturing the animal.