Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 raising and lowering gun from treestand >

raising and lowering gun from treestand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

raising and lowering gun from treestand

Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM

Default raising and lowering gun from treestand

what is the best way to lower your unloaded gun from your treestand.i believe when lowering your gun the barrel should be up just for the fact of snow or debris does not lodge in the barrel. let know what you think. thanks,
Old 12-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Default RE: raising and lowering gun from treestand

I just tie a sock around the end.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I use just enough rope so that the gun is at arms reach.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

myself i lower my gun with the barrel facing down it still hangs 3 to 4 feet off the ground so i don't have to worry about anything getting in the barrel , oh and bye the way i take the shell out of the chamber.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tie mine to the strap so it comes up level...If it's wet/rainy, I put the scope caps on it...I don't climb in the snow (not much here in NC anyway)...If it does snow, I climb one of our tower stands with the gun slug over my back...
Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

I tie a carabiner to end of the rope and make sure it hangs about 3 or 4 feet off the ground. Just clip the carabiner to your sling or loop it through and clip it back to rope works with the gun and bow.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same here... I tie mine so it comes up level... I guess common scense comes into play hear
Old 12-10-2007, 07:38 PM

The key is my gun is unloaded and chamber openwhen I pull it up. Then I'll pull it up with the barrel up so no debris gets in it. The older I live to be, the more paranoid about safety I become.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:46 PM

I would have to admit that I use my sling on my gun and leave it on my shoulder when I get in and out of my tree stand... Only reason is, so I dont go banging it off of things when pulling it up or lowering it down from my stand.. I also do that so I dont get any debris stuck in the end of the gun..
Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Spike

When I use a climber, I take a soft case w/ me and tie off to the handle. Keeps debris and snow off. If I am using a laddar blind, i will sling the gun over shoulder - of course unloaded for both....

Quick Reply: raising and lowering gun from treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.