Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
field dress and hang it
52.38%
skin it out and hang it
34.92%
doesn't matter
12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

curing your deer

Old 12-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default curing your deer

A friendly argument got started the other day on break at work on what is the best way to cure your deer. They all agreed weather permitting leaving a deer hang a couple of days is better for the meat. The disagreement was to skin it asap or leave it on. A couple of them said a deer skins easier warm and the meat will cool down faster. The others said to just field dress it and hang it I have done it both ways and didn't see any difference in the taste of the meat. What way do you prefer.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: curing your deer

I'd rather skin and clean the deer up before putting it in the cooler, it just looks cleaner. I don't know if hanging a deer for a week or so makes a lot of difference in the meat as long as it is cleaned, cooled quickly and taken care of.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hide off as quickly as possible, as it acts as an insulator and I want the entire carcass cooling ASAP. Ie: we went hunting yesterday morning to fill a couple mulie doe tags. I shot my doe shortly after 9:00 am andskinned her out a few hours later,still steamed after removing the hide. The temperature yesterday morn was -28 celsius, the hide retains heateven in frigid temps!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Venison is completely lean meat, not marbled with fat deposits like some other game animals. 'Aging', or letting it hang longer has little to no effect on how it will taste, unlike elk or beef. Skinning is much easier if done right away while the carcass is still warm.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

It is notcold enough to hang deer here in VA , and we don't have access to a large cooler to hang deer. We quarter ours and soak them in salty ice water overnight then prepare for the freezer.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Curing or aging your venison is fine, but it isn't easy for the average joe to get it done properly. Thats because the optimal way to age ANY meat is to have it in a controlled temp with a controlled humidity (85% is good) and with a well ventilated, slow moving, air source. Tough for most of us to handle.
Most recommend getting it dressed and cooled as quickly as possible and then hanging by the back legs for skinning. Some recommend aging with the skin on but most do not. All recommend the temp should be above freezing usually around 35-36 but there are some variations about the highest temp that should be allowed when aging. Some say definitely below 40 and other say it is ok to go as high as even 50 degrees but also say that when aging above 40 you need to shorten the length of time for aging because the aging process (enzymes and chemical reactions) takes places more quickly in warmer temps.
Most say that 7 days in ideal aging conditions yields good results, while others say to go 14 if you can.
Me, I usually dress, cool and skin as soon as possible, and then wait at least 4-5 days (weather permiting) to butcher. If too warm I'll quarter it up and place it in the frig for a week and then cut it up boneless, except for the shoulders and neck.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Iahuntr,you are right 'aging' deer is a waste of time. i don't agree that skinning is easier when the deer is still warm,i like to let them cool out overnight and then skin. i quarter it then and place it in the frig until i have time to process it.

uqmo2,soaking any meat will allow bacteria to form faster. any water left on meat will cause freezer burn also.
i have had butchers tell me that deer actually gets tougher the longer it hangs and that its best to freeze as soon as possible.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is really no reason to age does or younger deer. Mine usually hang a few days just because I'm too busy hunting to get to it right away. I like to let a buck hang 4 or 5 days, though. I don't field dress deer. I get them to the cleaning site, hang by the back legs, skin, gut, and wash the blood and hair off and get them into the walk-in cooler.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Skinning as soon as possible allows the meat to cool quicker. Better for the meat.
Aging Whitetail meat is "The old way" before we started learning how to tenderize
and cook venison.
Process the meat right away and vac pac the meat for the freezer. Then find the
right recipe and it will taste tender and delicious. Aging only decays not tenderizes.
And don't soak in water or ice. White meat has little flavor. Keep it fresh and red.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

Venison is completely lean meat, not marbled with fat deposits like some other game animals. 'Aging', or letting it hang longer has little to no effect on how it will taste, unlike elk or beef. Skinning is much easier if done right away while the carcass is still warm.
Ditto!!!

Quick Reply: curing your deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.