Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Staying awake in stand?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Staying awake in stand?

The only time I ever had any problem staying awake was Thanksgiving afternoon. After we came in from teh morning hunt and filled our bellies w/turkey it was always quite hard to stay awake until dark.

Any other time, I might catch a quick nap before it gets light of a morning, but I'm always too excited to fall asleep once it gets daylight.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:22 PM

i set my alarm early and that way if i fall a sleep i have more time to wake up if i fall a sleep. or take your phone and mess with it. the light will wake you up faster.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:35 PM

If i'am tired i get in my stand 30 minutes early and take a little cat nap. The older you get the more you will fall asleep. Just make sure you have a saftey harness on.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM

I'm guilty of passing out in the stand as well. Its hard for me not to jerk awake when I actually realize i have fallen asleep. That's why I like a ground blind. I'm always afraid of dropping my gun or falling out of the tree or something. Glad i'm not the only one who has this problem
Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

A couple of Black RJS's

dd
Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

If you can't stay awake to hunt and perform one of the most basic acts that man kind has been able to partake of since we were created,
STAY HOME!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:46 PM

I JUST SAY WHAT THE HELL AND SNOOZE... ODDS ARE THAT IF I FALL ASLEEP THEN I AM BEING STILLEWR THAN NORMAL SO A DEER WILL PROBABLY COME CLOSER BUT I DUNNO MY SNORING MIGHT SCARE THEM OFF
Old 12-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: DustenG89
MY SNORING MIGHT SCARE THEM OFF
That's why I try to stay awake....
Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM

One time I was just hunting on the ground in public land. I had a guy come up to me saying that he almost had a heart attack. Apparently he thought I was dead or something. I must have been asleep a good 45 minutes or so.

If I'm in a stand for a while in the morning, I'll bring a book or a magazine.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Spike

Falling asleep deer hunting has never been a problem for me, but I have done it a few times. Now duck hunting on the other hand is when i sleep the most. You get up at 1 or 2 in the morning maybe get 2 hours of sleep if any and by 9:30 i'm ready for a nap. Plus cattail beds in the marsh are very comfortable and after I get done making one I'm out like a light for 30 minutes or so. And if i hear wings,my dog whining or my buddy's shooting(those jerks) I know its time to get up.

Quick Reply: Staying awake in stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.