Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Staying awake in stand?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Default RE: Staying awake in stand?

wow i was never able to fall asleep wile hunting, i just thats a plus of being only 18.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM

just this morning when I was getting abit sleepy after some does past by I downloaded Deer Hunter II on my Razor and probably played it with the sound off for about 3 hours. Killed about 50 trophy deer...good day....good day indeed
Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 PM

I get oninternet with my phone. Still tired I read a book. Still tired I get on ground against tree and take a cat nap till I amalert again. If I am still tired, I just curl up and go to sleep for a while. If it is dark when I awake, I go home and climb in bed and start over. Rest is the key. If you go out tired or hung over, you will sleep.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problem staying awake, I go in my stand to hunt!!!!!! If I'm looking to sleep I'll stay home!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have any problem in the morning. If I get in the stand about 30-45 minutes before light, I'm too busy paying attention to everything moving around me to doze off. After the first hour of light, I pull out my Blackberry and message and friend in Virginia who also is bored in the stand. If I'm in my Viper though, I lift my knees up and wedge them in the corners of the climbing bar, slide the seat all the way forward and take short naps waking up every 15 minutes or so and looking around. If I'm in the ladder stand I just lean forward and put my head against the shooting rail and take short naps. Strange thing, I never fall asleep in my blind. That little three legged stool up my butt making it numb just seems to keep my awake for hours.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never have a problem staying awake in the morning. Afternoon is a different story. After about 30 minutes in the afternoon I start getting sleepy and nod and doze for about half an hour becoming alert if I hear a suspicious sound. About 30 minutes before sunset I start getting more alert and for the 30 minutes after sunset, I'm on a hair trigger cause that's when I see 90% of my deer.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 AM

I went ahead and picked up a vice to keep from falling asleep. There is nothing like a dip to keep you going although now I have gotten so overly paranoid about my scent that I use nicotine gum instead.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before I started using tree stands I hunted on the ground. Made my own tree seat that ratchet straps to a tree. I'd take it out the morning before opening day, set the seat and kick away all the leaves and twigs in a 6 ft diameter circle round my seat. I used to go out about 45 minutes before legal shooting time, so I'd get to my seat and curl up and lay down on the ground and catch a few z's. Someone in the woods would always shoot early which woke me up. I'd crawl into my seat ready to go.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nc1234

I went ahead and picked up a vice to keep from falling asleep. There is nothing like a dip to keep you going although now I have gotten so overly paranoid about my scent that I use nicotine gum instead.
That may work for you, but I can fall asleep with a dip in my mouth easily. I hate waking up with the dip drool all in my goatee, irritating trying to wipe it all out.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

That may work for you, but I can fall asleep with a dip in my mouth easily. I hate waking up with the dip drool all in my goatee, irritating trying to wipe it all out.

Quick Reply: Staying awake in stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.