Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

remington 870 question

Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Spike

Default remington 870 question

I have a remington 870 express and it has a regular slug vented barrel. I was wondering what barrel would be the best for deer and shooting sabots. A fully rifled barrel or what? I want to shoot somehigher qualityslugs than what I have been shooting. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:57 AM

Default RE: remington 870 question

A fully rifled barrel for the high quality Sabots such as the Hornady's and Barnes Expanders and new Barnes Tipped Expanders. In fact it even says on the box for rifled barrels only.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Spike

I also, might want to add that I want to achieve as much distance as I can with my gun with any setup. thank.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 AM

If you are looking for distance and accuracy you are going to have to pretty much get a rifled barrel with a cantilever mount and some optics. And then you are still only talking about 100 yards, maybe a bit more. Then you are going to have to spend some money on different loads to see what works best in your gun. It gets expensive FAST.

I would honestly stay away from the the really high tech super fast offerings that say they can shoot out to 200 yards. They look good on paper, but I haven't seen or heard of too many guns that shoot them that well. Most of the barrels you will get for an 870 just don't seem to shoot those fast light loads that well. Some do though if you want to give them a try. I wouldn't get your hopes up though. Most have good luck with bullets in the 400 grn and up range at speeds below 1700 fps.

In my honest opinion if you are looking for range and accuracy a quality Inline muzzle loader is the way to go. I own both and the ML is a bit more of a pain to shoot, but it is easier and cheaper to work up a good load for.

Paul
Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

You will definetly need a rifled cantilevered slug barrel with a decent scope. The best price for this is from Mossberg. They make this barrel for the 870 and it comes with a Bushnell scope for about a $180. You can also get barrels from Remington of course, and Hastings.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

If you are looking for distance and accuracy you are going to have to pretty much get a rifled barrel with a cantilever mount and some optics. And then you are still only talking about 100 yards, maybe a bit more. Then you are going to have to spend some money on different loads to see what works best in your gun. It gets expensive FAST.

I would honestly stay away from the the really high tech super fast offerings that say they can shoot out to 200 yards. They look good on paper, but I haven't seen or heard of too many guns that shoot them that well. Most of the barrels you will get for an 870 just don't seem to shoot those fast light loads that well. Some do though if you want to give them a try. I wouldn't get your hopes up though. Most have good luck with bullets in the 400 grn and up range at speeds below 1700 fps.

In my honest opinion if you are looking for range and accuracy a quality Inline muzzle loader is the way to go. I own both and the ML is a bit more of a pain to shoot, but it is easier and cheaper to work up a good load for.

Paul
I shot 2 1/2 inch groups at 125 yards with a red dot with the hornady's, they can def. reach out. My neighbor was shooting 3 inch groups at 150 yards with lightfield hybreds. I'm not saying your wrong just giving personal experiences with those hornadys.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

Paul
I shot 2 1/2 inch groups at 125 yards with a red dot with the hornady's, they can def. reach out. My neighbor was shooting 3 inch groups at 150 yards with lightfield hybreds. I'm not saying your wrong just giving personal experiences with those hornadys.
X2 I punched holes with my SST's at 130 yards using a 870 with a rifled barrel.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rifled barrel and scope with thenewer sabots and possibility of longer shots.

Good ol rifled slugs with a red dot will kill any deer with reasonable performance is shots are 75 yards and closer...
Old 12-08-2007, 04:29 PM

You two are in the minority then. I didn't say it couldn't be done, just don't expect it is all.

Wow, 2 1/2 groups at 125 yards with a slug gun using a red dot! That is impressive. Most dots are bigger than that at that range.

Paul
Old 12-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

You two are in the minority then. I didn't say it couldn't be done, just don't expect it is all.

Wow, 2 1/2 groups at 125 yards with a slug gun using a red dot! That is impressive. Most dots are bigger than that at that range.

Paul
Maybe a minority if I were shooting once a year, but it took a good 6 boxes of SST's to get it dialed in at the 100-150 yard range. I don't care if you own a Browning A-bolt, you need to practice, and more than just a few shells.

Quick Reply: remington 870 question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.