Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Chewing or Smoking in the woods >

Chewing or Smoking in the woods

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chewing or Smoking in the woods

Old 12-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Chewing or Smoking in the woods

How does everyone feel about Chewing or Smoking in the woods. I personaly have shot a couple of deer that were sniffing old spit piles under my tree stand.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:46 PM

Default RE: Chewing or Smoking in the woods

I've never had a problem chewing in the woods, now after my six year old sister sprayed my boots with lysol air freshener...thats a whole other story haha
Old 12-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

its your choice i would say..just like chewing gum, sunflower seeds or anything else... although though i'm not a fan myself, its your personal perogative to support lung/gum cancer through consumption of tobacco products
Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 AM

to tell you the truth.i only see deer when i smoke and thats no joke.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive killed 2 with a smoke in my mouth at the time of the shot. I dont smoke in the woods anymore though, just dip now.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

had 3 doe come under my ladder stand, actually brushing the ladder as they walked, they stopped to sniff the snuff spit, then walked out in front w/out a care in the world
Old 12-07-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't smoke or chew, but I would bet every penny in my pocket that there are people of here that smoke and/or chew on the deer stand and wear Scentlok clothing at the same time.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

lol retrieverman...i also wizz right out of my tree...right into the bare spot i spit into. before climbing, i kick a patch of leaves away JUST to spit and wizz into. while im head to toe in scentlok.

ive had deer use a "mock scape" made by ME. not worried about urine.

and about chew spit, ive never had a problem with it. had a mature doe with fawns come in and eat DIRECTLY under my tree where i spit for a couple weeks every hunt...and countless deer within feet of it..

i really think deer are spooked by smells they associate with danger...when they start associating my chew spit with danger, i'll chew some fruity flavor or somethin lol...

the only reason i clear the leaves away is so i dont make noise...

just my thoughts on it...and yes, ive had mature PA bucks within bow range of my stand...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 AM

ive' had deer lick my dip spit under my treestand before.They seemed to enjoy it to.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 AM

Personally, I think all the scent stuff is a bit of a marketing ploy. I've never used it and have had deer within arms reach many times while hunting from the ground.

I did and pee in the woods as well. The only time I use a bottle is when I hunt from a blind with... um... not real accessable windows.

Deer spook to noise and movement in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Chewing or Smoking in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.