Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Warm, clear high around 75
8.33%
Colder, windy, rainy, high around 52
91.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Weather: One day to hunt

Old 12-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Weather: One day to hunt

When I left the woods last evening and got back to my truck the temp 8 degrees, this was at 5:20pm! My butcher said it was 8 below this morning, he is 3 miles from where I hunt. I had a union meeting this morning and couldn't make the morning hunt, I was bummed, o yeah there is a foot of snow on the ground as well, thats hunting! Late season Bowhunting starts again on monday, should be good!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 PM

Default RE: Weather: One day to hunt

I envy you guys who get to hunt in the cold, though I don't know that I'd care for 30 below. We're having what the weather guys call a "mild" fall, but it's been too hot. The deer just don't move. Though, just like us humans, the deer are adapted to this climate as well. The problem this year is that we just haven't had enough cool weather to kill off all the weeds, so it's still hard to even see deer in many areas. Not to mention snakes hidden in that grass (I'm no fan of snakes).

Our weather can change at a drop of the hat though. Best example was a hunt I went on about 5 years ago.

I went out to the Texas panhandle to hunt mule deer on a friends ranch. The weather was horrible as we left the metroplex with ice, sleet, and snow coming from a "blue norther". It took us about 10 hours to make the 300 mile drive as we even had to drive around barracades to go down a closed 287. It was down around 0 by the time we got to the panhandle with a couple of feet of snow on the ground.

The temp on my car thermometer read 2 degrees when we left for our hunt the first morning.There was about 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground. By noon, the wind switched out of the south and it was warming quickly. We hunted on foot that entire day, making it back to my suburban about 6 pm. The high temp that day had probably been around 60 with bright sunshine.

My suburban had sunk to the axles in the red clay that now had the consistancy of soup. Thankfully, I had filled up my tank at the last gas station before getting to the ranch. I burned over 3/4 of a 44 gallon tank driving the 9 miles back to the house and it took until almost midnight.

We hunted only where we could walk from the house the next day knowing the roads were so bad. But, as the day went on, the ground died and with a stiff panhandle wind and a temp close to 70, everything was dry by that evening.

The next day, we hunted again and dressed for warm weather. I shot a nice 5x5 and decided to start looking for aoudad rams. Then the wind switched out the north again.

Because of another storm, supposedly worse than the one when we arrived, we left a day early. As we pulled out of the ranch, it began to sleet and the temp dropped down into the teens after being 65 degrees only hours before.

Just part of living in Texas, though it's not that extreme here around Fort Worth. Going to college in Lubbock, you could see the storms rolling down the planes. I'm sure you midwest guys experience that alot.

I've decided on Sunday, but may try to talk the wife into letting me hunt part of both days. Without any college football, I may drive her crazy enough by Saturday afternoon to get out that evening as well.