Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"Going" in the woods

Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM

Default "Going" in the woods

I would like to stay in my stand all day but I am a "regular" guy and have to go to the bathroom when I am out there. I dont mind doing it in the woods but I am scared that if I go close to my stand the scent will scare the deer and if I go to far off I scare off all the deer by tramping through the woods. Any advice on the best way to do this.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: "Going" in the woods

Depends if you gotta go #1 or #2. If its just #1 then take a pee bottle and use it. And if its #2 I usually will try to dig a small hole and leave a deposit and cover it back up. If you have a creek close they deposit it in enough water to cover it up...
Old 12-05-2007, 06:46 PM

I like to get out of my tree stand, go about 100 yards downwind, do my thing and then dump some scent killer on it, cover it with dirt, more scent killer and then I am done. I dont know if this is a good idea but it is what I do. What do you think?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:55 PM

What I did was I went to Wal-Mart and bought a good size funnel and tie strapped it to my stand.. I dug a hole about 1 to 1 1/2 foot deep holesomewhere under the tree stand and took an automotive hose clamp and clamped the hose to the funnel and tie strapped it to the ladder of the stand and ran it down into the hole I dug.. Then I took some rocks and placed them all around the garden hose in the holeso the dirt wouldn't clog up the end of the hose and enough rock so everything would flow threw the groundand then I filled the hole back in with the dirt... Works very well when you have to go pee but it would be very hard to get the others to fit threw that little hole... Cheap and a Very good idea to keep the scent out of the air...[/align] Hope this help you and others;[/align] Jay[/align]
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM

I forgot to mention that I use this method so I don't have to get down out of my tree stand and walk through the wood making all that noiseand scare anything that might be coming my way![/align]
Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its number 1, i just go out of the stand. The scent does not alarm deer, however, the noise may spook the deer, but i have been in the stand and had about 15 deer around me, went and the deer just looked up and put their head back down.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had to take a crap in the woods in years, but I pee from my stand on a regular basis as well as pee in every scape I see. I pee'ed from my climber a couple of weeks ago and had two deer right under me eating greenbriar within an hour. They didn't show any sign of being "offended" by my pissing in their "cherrios".
Old 12-05-2007, 09:11 PM

yeah I've always thought the point of taking a bottle was kind of dumb.
I just go right out of the tree.
I've gone a few times from the tree and had deer right down wind of me in less than 30 minutes.
I'm not to sure there is much of a diference in our smell from theirs.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

A gatorade bottle works good to piss in. I would never piss off one of my stands. Your plan for taking a crap sounds reasonable to me.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Pee is actually attractive to them, so is poo for some reason I have yet to fathom. Stop worrying about it, your breath will spook them a lot sooner than... well, you know. The biggest problem I've ever thought about in this area was what to do with the used Charmin.

Quick Reply: "Going" in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.