Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many of you have...

Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default How many of you have...

heard a buck "roar" or "growl"? I have a buddy that says he has heard it twice this year and once last year. I have been hunting for about 20 years and I have yet to hear it. Just wondering how many of you have heard it?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many of you have...

I heard it for the first time this year, it was on the next ridge over and I was videoing my dads hunt. It was loud and scared us both half to death more than anything, never saw the buck though.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been in the woods my whole life and I've never heard it.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Same here, if you have chances are it was someone blowing a call too long. Just another marketing gimmick.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Same here, if you have chances are it was someone blowing a call too long. Just another marketing gimmick.
Now I must say that we had 2 bucks fighting and they were leaving the area. I quickly grunted and they paid me no attention. I used the buck growl (just once and VERY loudly) and one of the bucks came back in.
This buck came back to the buck growl after ignoring regular grunting.
Will it work all the time? Nope, hasn't worked since.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Spike

I too am going on 20 years of deer hunting and never heard anything until this year. My buddy and I were hunting... he set up abuck decoy. Decent 8 point came in a stood there posturing for 10 min. He started to paw at the ground, throwing grass and dirt. He let out a loud grunt (sounded more like a pig than anything else). I was watching a deer show and Stan Potts blew the buck growl / wheez and that buck hauled a$$ the other direction! It was pretty funny.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I know that they work. I personally called up 2 bucks on an evening hunt last month, but I have never heard it in the wild for myself. The snort wheeze is a risky call to use. If that buck is'nt the dominate buck in the area or if he's already been whipped by a dominate buck, then he will get out of there ASAP.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing like hearing that distinctive snort weeze to know that you are in the right spot. If you have never heard it then you have never been tight enough to that big buck's special home.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard it once, strangely enough - as I was walking out my front door of my house I rounded the corner and he was standing there 15 yards away and let one fly. I had no idea he was there until he did this, I nearlyjumpedout of my boots. It was damn loud.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never heard a buck "roar" or "growl" but a few years ago I heard a buck make noise like never before.
I was bow hunting in NH and began walkng out of the woods as the end of the day came near.
Just as I came out to an old logging road, I saw this big buck on the edge of the road and slowly walking.

He suddenly became aware I was there (about 20 yds away) and as he continued his walk, he hissed like
a cougar. The sound was extremely loud and he continued to hiss as walked deeper into the woods.

If I had not seen the deer actually make that sound, I would not have believed it.
This was a big mature buck with an impressive rack and he was the darkest deer I have ever seen', almost completely black.

I did some research and discover that few hunters ever hear that sound.
It is always made by the dominant, alpha buck in that piece of woods.
He wanted me to know who he was andthat he knew I was there in his woods.

I was also toldthat this deer is the most aggressive buck in the woods.