Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

brain shot

Old 12-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: brain shot

Actually there is a big difference anatomically between pigs and deer.

A deer has huge lungs in porportion to their body size and you have a very large target to hit that will kill them quickly and humanely by shooting right behind the front shoulder. They have a relatively small head in porportion to their body size and smaller brain than an adult pig. You are probably looking at a 3" target on a deer head shot compared to a 6"-8" target shooting for their lungs.

A pig has tiny little lungs tucked in low and their front shoulder covers up most of the heart and lungs. If you don't hit them perfectly you are going to ruin alot of meat and or miss the vitals completely and never find the pig. A pig has a large head and a big brain. Plus the way their spine comes out of their head gives you some additional margin of error there. You actually probably have a larger target shooting at a pig with a brain shot than trying to hit their lungs aiming behind their front shoulder. I would guess you have about a 4" target shooting at a pigs head vs. a 3" target shooting at their lungs if you don't want to shoot up the front shoulder. Also pigs have a reputation for being pretty hard to kill and running a long way after being shot so a brain shot seems a lot better than trying to track a wounded pig through heavy brush.

That's my 2 cents.

Nathan
Old 12-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jkelly

I think alot of people view a head shot on deer as a "risky" shot, lots of stories of bad shots and blown up jaws that cause a deer to run off and starve to death. Deer are typically revered and it bugs a hunter to wound one and not find it, if you can confidently make a head shot do it, it's your call. Pigs on the other hand, well they are pigs. Nuisance animals that don't get much respect. JMHO
Yep. Miss the brain by1 inch and you may hit spine, or major blood vessel, or you may miss anything truly vital and hit jaw or muzzle, eye, throat, maybe even esophagus, thus torturing the deer to death, and likely never recovering it. miss the lung by 3 inches and you're likely to hit heart, major blood vessels, liver, spleen, spine, all of which are sure kills. Combined with potentially hitting the shoulder as well, you've got a vital shot and crippling effect, allowing for quick death and easier recovery, with a 3 inch miss. Even if you really miss the intended spot and hit guts, you've got a shorter death and better chance of recovery.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM

it is ilegal to hunt deer in the state of kentucky with a .22 and thats the way it sould be.go buy you a high powered rifle and put it to them and leave the pea shooter at home.sb4 d
Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 AM

im going coyote hunting today hmmmm i think i'll take my bb gun and try and put a good head shot on it lol d
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Like was mentioned Hogs have a different makeup from most animals and it is very easy to shoot too high or too far back.

Squirrels if your using a .22,just waste alot less meat.

Fur bearing animals head shots does less damage to the fur.

Me if the Head is all I have on a Deer thats what I will take.

big rockpile
Old 12-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I CAN'T SEE A THING WRONG WITH THE BRAIN SHOT AS LONG AS THE HUNTER CAN PUT THE BULLET THERE. I HAVE DONE IT MANY TIMES ON CLOSE IN SHOTS. NEVER HAD ONE DO ANYTHING BUT DROP IN ITS TRACKS.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer neck shots to brain shots. You havea much less chance of injuring a deer with a neck shot than with a head shot.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is absolutely no reason you should aim for the head when you shoot...goodness. If you have a good "boiler room" shot, why take the chance at blowing a deer's jaw off? For some reason people shooting deer in the head bothers me....maybe it is just me.

shadow