Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anybody deer hunt in December/January? >

Anybody deer hunt in December/January?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody deer hunt in December/January?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Anybody deer hunt in December/January?

In Oklahoma, gun season ended last Sunday and most hunters have either given it up or tagged out by this time so not many people thatI know aregoing to be in the woods hunting this December.I am usually in the same boat and have my limit by this time but this year is different. First off, I have only harvested one buck this season and secondly we have food plots this year.

So far, this year the deer have not hit the food plots much. In this area there has been abundant rain and warm temperatures so it has been a lousy deer season. The forseeable forecast is for more warm to seasonable weather. However, I am planning on bow hunting as it is legal through January 15th. I am unfamilar with hunting in December especially with food plots (winter wheat) so I have some questions .

1.What should I expect deer movement wise?

2.What will make the deerstart hitting those food plots andare they more likely to do it more in the morning, mid dayor evening?

3.What kind of results have you guys had hunting in the late season?

Thanks...

Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Spike

Default RE: Anybody deer hunt in December/January?

Hunting late season deer can be very tough.Wisconsin weather can bring extreme cold temperatures and a lot of snow.The deer where I live feed on lots of corn and soybeans. This type of grain provides them with quick energy for the extreme cold temps. I found that hunting in the afternoon is very productive.The mornings are a waist of time unless you find a good travel route back to their bedding areas.Good luck!!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:59 PM

The weather stays pretty moderate in Oklahoma. If we have bad weather it generally comes after deer season. That may be when the food plots will start being used. I do plan to go out soon and do an evening hunt and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:04 PM

here in Fla. our season goes out the last week of Jan. and most times it is still pretty hot. this year the acorns are still falling like rain. so the deer can just get up , eat , and lay back down. don't have to move very much.most years we find the last couple hrs. are the best times to be on the food plots.

best of luck tp ya. we want pic's.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:14 PM

I will try to put up some pics if I get anything in this late season. We are planning to start going out again this weekend but the weather looks like it may be ice. It has been 20-30mph winds the last few days. I am really curious what late season hunting might be like for us. I plan to hunt the food plots and my partner plans on hunting deep near a bedding area. I agree and think you are right evenings give us our best shot. Is anyone else going out to hunt this late season?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 PM

Ill be out friday afternoon and all day saturday.. I hunt a farm an hour away.. Farmers kid just got his lic on monday,, and dad has said its ok for me too take him out. Hes been watching deer in his cornfield every afternoon,, including a nice buck. Hope too get him his first deer tomorrow afternoon in the snow!
Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where are hunting in OK?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:58 PM

I'll be hunting through jan. here in La., if I can ever get this house sold. Bow season runs into Feb.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 PM

I'm sure it depends on where you live. Our gun season in so. wi runs through sunday 12/9/It iscold in Dec. and Jan here. I went out last Friday and by sunset, it was only 10 degrees with a 20 mph wind. Painfully cold by the time I finished. Early Sat.it was only about 10 degrees and a 15 mph wind then snowed so hard you couldn't see fifty yards. Too cold for stand hunting. It gets so cold you can't really sit still for long. I"m going out again this weekend, there's snow falling right now, so I plan to move about and look for tracks. When you are in the wooded lands here, if you don't see tracks, you are pretty much wasting your time.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

By December here...everyone has quit hunting. I love hunting this time of the year because the deer have returned top almost normal. Its a gut check at times duew to the cold but can be very rewarding.

Quick Reply: Anybody deer hunt in December/January?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.