HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Question for ground blind hunters... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/220849-question-ground-blind-hunters.html)

wildchild04 12-03-2007 10:30 PM

Question for ground blind hunters...

What do you do to keep the noise down while moving around in your blind?

Do you just NOT move?
rake the leaves so you have a clear area to step?
bring along some sort of carpet?

Or....???

Last night was the first time I used my blind, and it seemed like no matter how quiet I tried to be while looking around or trying to set up for a shot,.... that I was being quiet enough..... maybe I'm paranoid..... [align=right][/align]

skeeter 7MM 12-03-2007 11:03 PM

RE: Question for ground blind hunters...

I often leave my pop up blinds for an extended period of time setup, so I trim branches, remove debris and leaves from where the blind wil sit. I also throw a old sleeping bag down when I arrive for under neath my feet and chair. This acts two foldbyt reducing noise and keeping my feet off the frozen ground.

If it is a single setup I just throw the sleeping bag down and trim if nessecary.

As far as movement I set up so the majority ofthe area I am watching I don't need to turn my body just my head. As far as seating if I am just sitting for a morning or evening I use a 5 gallon pail with acushion. Finally Iwrap the pail in a blanket so that if my boots hit it the sound is dampened and add warmth. Ifsitting longer I use a folding lawn chair and a blanket thrown overtop tominimize anysqueezes or metal contact(plus you guess it comfort/warmth).

I guess I am paranoid about noise as well but the above has works well for me. Though may I say the sounds you hear are amplified due to being in a confined space, so no need to get an ulcer over every little sound.

snowball450 12-03-2007 11:14 PM

i just put my mossy oak folding chair in there and sit down and move my eye's around and try not to move my head.i usealy have 4-5 squiels around me makeing all kinds of racketbut deer dont seem to mind them.

barrabas74 12-04-2007 09:08 AM

I have a really built up ground blind, I hunt under Hemlocks so after I push away the needles and leaves the ground is super quite. I have brush built up around me and I am facing downhill so from "most of the deer I kill's angle" all they can see of me is my head. If they approach from the uphill side or cross side they can see my shoulders. I have multiple ground blinds built up on the land that i maintain similar to this. Being loud isnt usually an issue, just keeping movement down...at least for me.

treestandstealth 12-04-2007 09:24 AM

whenever I put up the blind I get rid of all the leaves beneath where my feet are going to be. If when I come back by some freak reason there are more leaves I just move them when I first get there, you know make all my noise at one time.

DannyD 12-04-2007 09:59 AM

Similar to what others have said I make sure there are no leaves or twigs in my blind. I only open the windows directly in front of me and the front corners. I also leave the mesh up. With this set up i can pretty much move around all i want undetected in my blind.
I also get the blind out there a few weeks befor season opener. It is brushed in very well backed into a big clump of thickets
This year I have a bow kill at 12 yards and a gun kill at 3 yards out of it. Yup 3 yards. Odd but true

andy da animal 12-04-2007 12:21 PM

You can throw down a little indoor/outdoor carpet and that will pretty much take care of the noise as far as leaves on the ground! as for everything else, just get a chair that wont squeek and everythingelse should be fine. heck last year i shot a doe, then called my mom, then my girlfriend, and before i could say bye to my girlfriend a buck walked out! i got him as well! if me quitely talking on the phone didnt scare away the buck im guessing the little noise you hear isnt anything to really worry about!

dbblung 12-04-2007 04:00 PM

I used an old moving quilt and it worked great!;)Really cut down the noise inside the blind.

northernedge 12-04-2007 05:30 PM

I put my blind in the same place everyyear so i built a floor out of pallets and plywood and put carpeting down so it is nice and quiet.