Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Cutting heads of roadkill bucks? >

Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

Old 12-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

I,ve picked up about 8 roadkills a few were still warm the biggest was a 12 pt smallest was a 4 kept most of the meat except for 3 to mangled.Nothing wrong with keeping the meat gave most of it to people who are down on there luck.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:23 PM

It's illegal here in Alabama, so no I haven't. I do, however have a 140-150 class rack/skull thatI found on my property while scouting after the 2005 season. I will eventually have a Euro mount.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

highway roadcrews do it all the time..sometimes we get there when the deer is still breathing..or recently expired..then its butcherin time.. meat to eat..thats why we all carry sharp knives...or use a power saw from the work truck....hey..waste not want not

OR is it them cropcircle guys??
Old 12-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine was behind a guy who hit a button buck, and stopped and picked it up to take home to use the meat. Its free!!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 PM
bigcountry

I have picked up my last roadkill for meat. I have done it a few times, and the meat tastes usually little wild. I will be lucky to get tenderloins out of it, and maybe one hind.

As far as antlers. I could care less if someone cuts them off. I probably would. Never done it.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:40 AM
Spike

I'm about to get one today actually. Someone already got the antlers, I have an absolute unknown hatred for people like that, you know, the wasteful ones. I sometimes wish that people would take the whole skull so people won't be disappointed to see that the deer they've been eyeing was not a doe, but a buck someone already cut the antlers off.
Note: I don't care if any of you say "oh well it wasn't won fair" c'mon it's free, just take it, are you THAT annoyingly prideful?
Old 11-17-2021, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is also illegal in PA to remove the head or antlers from a road killed buck. In fact if a person gets a permit for the edible portions of a road killed deer they must surrender the antlers.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It is also illegal in PA to remove the head or antlers from a road killed buck. In fact if a person gets a permit for the edible portions of a road killed deer they must surrender the antlers.
OR they have to BUY them from the game commission head is "X" dollars, and then they charge by the tine if you want the antlers(bears are the same way in PA only cost more $$ than deer do), and well MOST times wardens will pick up, to prevent people from doing so)

funny(and sorry this will offend you OT, don;t mean to just is what it is)

but since in PA< NO one seems to want to have the JOB of removing dead deer(Game commission USED to have it, even used to save hides and sell them, and had ROAD KILL PITS on game lands)
but dead deer are NO longer picked up by GC, and DOT claims NOT there job either

BUT as soon s a person WANTS IT< suddenly the GAME commission , values it, needs to get PAID!

where if NO one wants it , it can just rot away on the side of the road!!
seems like a MONEY making game to me anymore!
not there job to remove it, but need to get paid if someone wants it be it for the head or the meat, either way SOMEONE is removing it , should just be free, there DEAD
I'd rather see them get used, than be rotting away on road ways!
I'm all good with NEEDING a permit to take it, but STOP charging for the hide and head and tines!
just be happy someone is removing and making good use out of it!

seems to me like deer don;'t have any VALUE till someone wants them to the PA GC! then they NEED to get paid!
other wise it can just rot away!
its not the DOT's job to remove or the GC 's job! officially,
SO?

just be glad someone wants it and will remove it for FREE!

Last edited by mrbb; 11-17-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

The price is $10.00 a point. That is the price the PGC sells antlers for, either road kills or antlers in evidence for illegal deer after the case is closed. That money goes into the game fund to be used for wildlife conservation. It is legal to possess shed antlers but they have to be shed and not on a skull unless the possessor has a permit to possess or has legally harvested the deer. People who illegally take deer heads or antlers are stealing from the sportsmen of PA. There are legal ways to possess antlers and illegal ways to possess them. You aren't offending me, I didn't make the laws I only enforced them and know the reason for them. And as a matter of information, it is the job of penndot to keep state highways clean of litter and the job of municipalities to keep their roads clean. It never was the the job of the PGC, they did it for decade after decade as a curtesy until they just didn't have the time to be garbage men anymore. They don't send people to school for a year only to have them come out of school and be garbage men and women!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-17-2021 at 12:51 PM.