HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   whose deer is it? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/220414-whose-deer.html)

wahoohunter 12-01-2007 11:39 AM

whose deer is it?

I was just wondering what yalls opinion is on this matter...

If someone shoots a deer and only wounds him, and while you are tracking him or before you start tracking him another hunter shoots the deer and kills it...whose deer is it?
I've always thought it was the person who actually harvested the deer that should get the meat and check it in...but i was just wondering what yalls takke is on it...

skeeter 7MM 12-01-2007 11:52 AM

RE: whose deer is it?

For us it has always beenfirst blood gets the deer. As a general rule most believe first lethal shot. Though it appears in the real world first on scene...tags it.

Steve F.in MD 12-01-2007 04:55 PM

Do a search on your question and you can read pages and pages of opinions.

DoctorDeath 12-01-2007 04:58 PM

FIRST BLOOD!

dd

furgitter 12-01-2007 05:51 PM

As a group its up to the grour to be sure everyone understands. My bunch, its first blood. If another hunter on public land smokes it, you may have problems. Put what state you are from in your profile would ya?

bigcountry 12-01-2007 07:50 PM

Its really common sense. If you hit a deer with a bad shot and it makes it 100 yards or more and someone puts a bullet in the lungs, its thier deer. All hunters should know a lethal shot. Liver shots are a grey area. So are neck shots. Everybody has thier idea, but I know deep down if I took the deer. And I usually will fight over it if I believe its mine.

Arrowmaster 12-01-2007 08:02 PM

Whoever puts the first lethal shot on the deer. None of this first blood crap. Why would you want to tag a deer that had a non lethal shot or flesh wound. I myself would be ashamed to tag a deer I knew wouldnt have died from my non lethal shot... Just my opinion...

mauser06 12-01-2007 09:19 PM

PA, final shot is the killer....

i dont agree with EITHER method...

if i blow the heart out of a deer and it makes its 50yd death dash(ive had them make it pretty close to 50yds with no heart to speak of...running into trees and stumbling all the way, but made it that far before dropping) and someone shoots it within the 50yd run or whatever and "kills it" im going to be pretty upset....

and i dont like first blood because if someone blows a leg off or shoots it in the tail or something, too danged bad! head to the shootin range...you certainly aint heading to the taxidermist!!!

monster10rackstack 12-01-2007 09:32 PM

first killing shot......if it stays on the property where either are allowed to have the deer......if it goes to another property and the first guys doesnot/cant get permission then the second hunter can claim the deer or return it to the first hunter.....thats how it is in Indiana

DoctorDeath 12-02-2007 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Its really common sense. If you hit a deer with a bad shot and it makes it 100 yards or more and someone puts a bullet in the lungs, its thier deer. All hunters should know a lethal shot. Liver shots are a grey area. So are neck shots. Everybody has thier idea, but I know deep down if I took the deer. And I usually will fight over it if I believe its mine.
BC this is one you and I wont agree on my hunting blood brother ....how many "if'y" shots have been tracked not found...then left over night and found the next day ? I would have to think that MOST second shots would not evenhappen if it wernt for the first one that drew blood....and who is to say what a "leathel" shot is within in hour AFTER the shot....Ihave personal knowledge of a BIG deer that was shot in the right hip and it ran alomost 200 yards before it bled out andgave up the ghost...we found it about 45 min. later ...the hunter who walked up on it could have shot it again and agrued it was not dead and he made the "leathel" shot but he knew the "first blood" rule so there was no incetive for hin to be unethical and thus no fight...always exceptions but in general I say First Blood then there is no judging to be done...I think some might refer to this as "sportmanship"...jmo

dd