Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yep, I use one.
39.39%
Nope, don't use one.
60.61%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Due to an argument.........

Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Due to an argument.........

Due to an argument I have been having with my dad, I decided to post this question. I just bought a bipod for my .270 for deer season this year and really like it. My dad thinks it is the most ridiculous thing he has ever seen.

My question is- How many of you have a bipod or shooting sticks for yourdeer rifle??

I just wanted to see if I was the onlyperson that uses a bipod for deer hunting, or if there were other people out there that liked to use them.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Due to an argument.........

I use the Stoney Point Rapid Pod on my gun. It is a qwick detachable by-pod. It swivels 360 degrees. It is a sitting and kneeling model. Out West here we get 300yds to 400yds. shots.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 AM

i use a $90 bipod on my savage 30-06 as you can see in the pic
Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

whats wrong with those! your dad needs no to try them then he wont insult you!!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly my thoughts!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

i have 3 sets of harris bipods,iuse them mostly for varmint hunting. some places i hunt have lots of fields so i sometimes use them for deer hunting to. i also have a set of stoney point shooting sticks. they are great when i hunt powerlines where the grass is to high for bipods and i may need to shoot 300yds plus. when i'm hunting i just carry them like a walking stick ,if a deer runs out on a powerline i'm on one knee fast with the sticks.

i know people that won't use them to,but they are the ones missing deer at long range also.when that buck of a life time appears ,i'd just as soon be ready.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have one on my current .308 but I plan on getting one when I purchase my new gun in a few months.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

A good rest IMO is a requirement. I hunt on the ground 100% of the time and finding a suitable rest can be problematic, a bipod or shooting sticks instant solution.

I can understand his viewpoint being I too was taught and learned to shoot off hand. It was how it was done before these aides were common, older dogs take time to learn new tricks. Have him shoot off yours, he may just change his opinion slightly. I know I rarily shoot off hand anymore, it just gives more more confidence to have a solid hold.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Just about all my hunting is in the woods from a tree, so I dont use any sticks. If i need to make a long shot over an open field, I sit down if I can.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not for me, but whatever blows your skirt up.

Quick Reply: Due to an argument.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.