HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   dead deer question.....eh. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/220322-dead-deer-question-eh.html)

yakuza wiz 11-30-2007 06:19 PM

dead deer question.....eh.

Okay
So i hunt on about 40 acres of timber.
and someone threw two road kill deer down in my woods for god knows what reason that may have had...
but now they are starting to rot and stink up the woods and I've started to find an abundance of coyote tracks in the area and i stopped seeing any deer.
what I would like to know is:
How long will it take them to rot away?
How does this effect the deer?
And how long will it take the deer to come back after the smell is gone?

they have both been down there for about two weeks and I have to walk by them to get to any of my stands and It's starting to make me queezy in the morning when i go out.

[hr]BTW
just to make the situation even worse.
sombody told me they saw the truck drop it off...
and it may have been the land owner...

thinktwicez71 11-30-2007 06:23 PM

RE: dead deer question.....eh.

To be quite honest , you might as well kiss this years season there goodbye , you might see the ocasional deer here and there , but the deer will smell the death in the woods , as well as all the coyote smell being in there and won't want to be in there.

BuckMan8 11-30-2007 06:57 PM

Yea that is some bad luck right there, sorry man. I agree with thinktwiez71. Them coyotes are going to scare the deer away.

yakuza wiz 11-30-2007 07:18 PM

thanks for some info guys.

well, it's sort of an odd shaped chuck of land...how far do you think i would have to get away from it to see a difference?
they are sitting on one corner of the lot and i have a stand set up on the other. just wondering..i'm starting to worry now.

snowball450 11-30-2007 07:24 PM

get a tarp and some latx gloves and take them to the land feild if you want to hunt that bad then sit in your deer stand and hunt and if you see a coyote shoot it.coyote is open year around here so i put the crosshairs on my 270 on them and lay them down for good.

jeremy3303 11-30-2007 07:27 PM

In all honesty, it probably wont bother the deer much. I found a small buck dead on my property and coyotes were everywhere and never noticed any drop in deer activity. If the coyotes were there to find the deer, then they were around the area the whole time and the deer are more than likely used to them. I wouldn't worry about how it affects hunting. Just get out there and hunt, you surely wont take anything sitting on the couch at home.

Good luck and happy hunting.

yakuza wiz 11-30-2007 07:29 PM

now that I am mad that my season might be in the ditch i thought i would show a map of the situation...
the green box is some old abandoned house
the yellow is the deer
and the purple are where my stands are.
about |------| is 500 feet.
PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HOPE!!!!!!

smokems 11-30-2007 08:06 PM

If coyotes are a problem, the dead deer would be gone long before now.

8mm/06 11-30-2007 08:14 PM

I agree that you should stop worrying about it so much and look for the areas the deer are now using to skirt the particular area. Besides, with the pickings being easy with the free road kill for the yotes, the deer are enjoying a short break from being considered .... with the easy dead stuff available the deer are probably more relaxed but just moved slightly off their usual pattern.

snowball450 11-30-2007 08:53 PM

hunt the three stands on the right side of the farm.