Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dead deer question.....eh.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dead deer question.....eh.

i wouldnt worry about it and id still hunt if there r yotes in you're area to begin with the deer wont give a crap about em. I'd hunt the same way i did before and not think twice about it. Give this a thought and im sure this has happened to quite afew guys whocan relate how often have you been driving out a thick patch trying 2 bust a few deer out and found a deer or 2 someone poorly shot dead but you're still jumping deer outa there. Same principle. Dont let that deter you from what u want to do. Good luck
Old 11-30-2007, 10:21 PM

i would still hunt it no matter what.you never know what may come lurking through them woods.good luck
Old 11-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Dont let it ruin your season. A doe with a fawn may be pretty leary of the yotes, a big doe or buck are probaly not to afraid of them. If you hunt and dont see anything, blame the yotes; if you sit on the couch and dont see anything, blame yourself!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer see and smell death nearly every single day, it won't bother a thing, except your belly!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thinktwicez71

To be quite honest , you might as well kiss this years season there goodbye , you might see the ocasional deer here and there , but the deer will smell the death in the woods , as well as all the coyote smell being in there and won't want to be in there.
This is most ignorant post that I have seen in quite awhile.

I have a specific area where I dump my carcasses, and I see deer in the area every time I go through it. Deer and coyotes cohabit the same areas 365 days a year and having them eating on a deer carcass shouldn't adversely effect your hunting at all. I wouldn't hunt right over the carcasses, but with 40 acres, you have plenty of land to hunt.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Spike

Couple years ago someone paoched a deer 10 yards in front of my stand. They took what meat they wanted and left the carcass. When I found it the yotes etc... cleaned it up pretty good and it smelled bad. In fact that is how I found it, I smelled it 15 yards before I saw it. I drug off what was left and 2 days later killed a 152" 8 point out of that stand. I don't drag off deer to gut them anymore. Last year we killed 3 deer out of the same 100 yard square area. Two are on the wall. Gutted them all where they dropped. Two were killed within 2 days of each other. I would remove the carcasses, wait two days, and hunt there, if conditions (wind etc..)are right.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Spike

deer see and smell death nearly every single day, it won't bother a thing, except your belly!
Exactly! I wouldn't worry about it. And I'm sure coyotes are there all the time too. Deer evolved to live with all of these things....that's why they're so hard to kill.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 11pt

Exactly! I wouldn't worry about it. And I'm sure coyotes are there all the time too. Deer evolved to live with all of these things....that's why they're so hard to kill.
+3

Nature is a cruel world. The deer and coyotes co-existed prior and will continue too. The fact these 2 deer have made it 2 weeks indicates coyotes aren't really a problem. Here they wouldn't last 2 days, expecially inside the bush where the scavangers can eat without being seen. I have seen way to many coyotes and deer in the same field to think otherwise. Deer watch them and keep their distance may even move off but often reappear after the yoddle dogs have moved off. Coyotesaremore opportunists from my experience, generally small game hunter of rabbits, mice, grouse, etc. Being opportunist they will not pass up a meal on an injured or young larger animal but they aren't anything like a wolf that hunts via pack to take down larger then their size quarry.

One thing is sure if you don't go you won't get. Good Luck
Old 12-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't worry about them, especially that far away from your stands. I would probably have gone ahead and shoveled some dirt on them early on, but by now they are probably about gone.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

ORIGINAL: thinktwicez71

To be quite honest , you might as well kiss this years season there goodbye , you might see the ocasional deer here and there , but the deer will smell the death in the woods , as well as all the coyote smell being in there and won't want to be in there.
This is most ignorant post that I have seen in quite awhile.

I have a specific area where I dump my carcasses, and I see deer in the area every time I go through it. Deer and coyotes cohabit the same areas 365 days a year and having them eating on a deer carcass shouldn't adversely effect your hunting at all. I wouldn't hunt right over the carcasses, but with 40 acres, you have plenty of land to hunt.
to each his own , all i was saying was that i would pick another spot rather than close to the dead dear

Quick Reply: dead deer question.....eh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.