But as someone who predominantly spends time in the bowhunters forum, at this time of year much badprofiling is brought to gun hunters. FIRST let me say that I hunt with Bow,..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Gun Hunters..what ya think of Bow Hunters? >

Gun Hunters..what ya think of Bow Hunters?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun Hunters..what ya think of Bow Hunters?

Old 11-30-2007, 03:02 PM

Default RE: Gun Hunters..what ya think of Bow Hunters?

We just knew this would turn into a bitch fest...
Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

Good thread! I am glad a bowhunter started it. 1)I don't really care how anyone prefers to hunt,

2)but I think bowhunters in general are more into trophy hunting than the average gun hunter. I can assure everyone that this will make the sport a rich man's game in the not too distant future. They also will accuse gun hunters of only blasting away and crippling game, while they prefer not to talk about all the deer they stick with arrows and run off wounded. I would bet that there are probably two to three that get away wounded for each deer they actually put down.

I guess what ticks me off most about them is how many consider themselves to be the superior woodsman and hunters, while many of them hunt very small suburban lots where there is limited to no gun hunting with a good supply of deer. The biggest challenge to me in an environment like that would be getting permission from the neighboring landowners when one sticks a deer and then has to trail it which must happen very often when some bowhunters hunt on 5 acre woodlots. Just couldn't imagine ringing on doorbells in camo to ask permission to track a deer. Not my cup of tea, in the least!
Man, where to start! That is some ignorant vitriol coming out of you my friend. 1) As far as your first highlighted statement, I have to call
Bu11$h1t on that one. If you didn't care, you would not have stated the stupid things you stated in that wound 2 or 3 deer for every one they harvest statement

First off to pile every bow hunter in to a group that wounds 2 or 3 deer to every one they harvest is pure crap. While you may know some slob that is like that, to lump all bowhunters into that class is ignorant at best, and pretty damn rude or worse.

2) Hunters that evolve intoBow hunters are not all trophy hunters per se. But I have seen many mature from the "if its brown its down" syndrome to being a little more selective in their harvest. When one starts to let small bucks walk by, one typically starts to see larger bucks from their stands. I have brought a video camera in the woods when bow hunting and have footage of bucks sparring (and let them walk)and watched first hand how deer interact with each other and it has been a learning experience and brought me many hours of pleasure.

3) Now on the knocking on doors in camo comment, I don't care if you are a bow hunter, gun hunter or hunt with a friggin blow gun, you never wait until the season to ask tresspass permission for hunting or tracking a deer. You go there before the season starts dressed appropriately and ask permission.

As far as the bowhunters hunting in small suburbanareas with a bow, what the Fvck else are you going to hunt them with? Your high powered rifle? I dont care if you are dressed in a tuxedo, no one is going to let you hunt on their 1/2 acre lot with a 270.

Bow huntersare a very important management tool in the control of the whitetail herd population, that literally no other type of hunting implement can offer. I would hazard a guess judging by your attitude that you shoot everything and anything that walks by you.

You would be well advised to stop typing and listen for a while. Maybe you will learn something.

As hunters, we have to remember there are many different venues of deer hunting. Some areas condone bait hunting, others hunt deer with dogs. It is not our place to judge a group that hunts in a different way than us. In Maine you are crazy to sit in a deer stand. There's 3 deer per square mile. In Georgia you can run deer with dogs because its so thick and they are so over run with deer, they can't kill enough of them.

As hunters it is our responsibility to support each other. There are enough doucherockets out there trying to take away our traditions without us fighting each other from with in.

Let's knock off all this who's type of huntingis better than who's threads and start using this medium in ways that will help us keep this tradition alive.

Why don't I see threads saying: PLEASE WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN, VOTE GOING ON THIS WEEK TO END BAITING BEARS IN MAINE?

We need to work together

Divided we stand, united we hunt.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

im a gun hunter that is not all about shoot I like the outdoors and everything about the woods bowhunter however have more tradition to me more sport im a meat hunter/trophy hunter and i like shooting guns when I get strong enough to bow hunt i probly will bow hunt............i have no negativety against any of the bowhunters out there were hunting for meat, trophy, and a good time in the woods i dont care about what yall think im not going to insult anyone over there instinct of bow or gun its all hunting so......HUNT!.....i dont care if you give your opion its a forum for petes sake! but dont be rude about thats all i got to say!
but some people think that gun hunters just blow 5 rounds at a deer and just wound .....well that aint true.......some mite do that but not me and i know alot of the gun hunters on this forum arent like shooting maniacs but they cant say that bowhunters are suprime and perfect they make mistakes to! we all make mistakes we cant judge hunters by the ammount of there mistakes there are bad gun hunters and there are bad bowhunters
Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, I can't beleive how much stereotyping is coming from this thread... especially within a larger group of people who are generally negatively stereotyped to begin with.

"bow hunters are so elitist..."

I'm a bowhunter, have I ever bashed someone for shooting a small buck?

"Bow hunters are driving up the cost of hunting"

I'm a bowhunter, how much $$ do I spend a year to hunt? maybe in the $400-500 per year range, and the vast majority of that is on gas. Oh yeah, dont forget my $150 bowhunting rig. Dont blame someone else for your discontent with the "stuff" that you had always made do with before...

"gun hunters are so lazy..."

Yeah, I'm soo lazy because I want to be 100% sure my freezer is full of meat, and i take two jobs to pay for my all of 6 days of hunting i get this year... (might get, i should say)

"gun hunters don't let them grow up and shoot the little ones"

I'd shoot the same deer regardless of the weapon in my hand at the time. as with previous statement, the meat is the point anyways.

"Bow hunters are mainly trophy hunters..."

See previous statement...

Bottom line, I think people lose their common sense, and pickup their "hunting evangellist" hat when they log in here. Something to do with anonymity, I suppose.

"Ethical Harvest" is the phrase that is heart and primary crutch of this arguement, for both sides. At a fundamental level, the phrase that poses the largest threat to all forms of hunting. Ethics are nothing but an arbitrary relative view based on a particular belief. The problem with beliefs are that one man's beliefs do not outweigh another man's right to beleive otherwise. Killing is Killing. True there is more to it, and I suppose there are some symantics to be argued, but in my mind the point of killing is to preserve life. I'm sorry, but that is what hunting is. Do we have more reasons to do it, absolutely. But why bring ethics into it. Might as well be arguing the ethics of war, or any other social ill.

This thread reminds me of all the protestant sects of christianity. "I don't agree with you so I'm going to call you whatever nasty name I can get away with"

I'll relenquish my soap box now. Continue beating each other over the head over the philosophical equivalents to to the mosquito. Yes this is that annoying.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Remnard

Why don't I see threads saying: PLEASE WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN, VOTE GOING ON THIS WEEK TO END BAITING BEARS IN MAINE?

We need to work together

Divided we stand, united we hunt.
Because too many people are too busy picking each other apart over those issues. That's why.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:27 PM

I will start by saying I do both. I am an oddball in that I started out bowhunting and then started gun hunting. I originally had no interest in hunting deer at all. I just wanted to learn to shoot a bow. A buddy at work offered to help me out and when he saw how good I got he asked if I wanted to try bowhunting. I figured I would try it and see. Well I liked it, and my second year hunting I added an inline muzzle loader to my toy collection, and then a few years later got a nice rifled slug gun. No rifles where I live.

I have met some elitist bow hunters, at least that is what they call themselves anyway. Most of them really are not that great of hunters or archers though in my opinion. They just think they are better because they hunt with a bow. Forget the fact that they rarely practice and don't consistently take deer from one year to the next. Most of the really good bow hunters I know don't have this ego problem, they just don't care. They are not in it to impress anyone, they do it because they enjoy it. I will admit there are crossovers in both categories though.

There are also different types of hunters be it gun or bow, but especially with gun. There are the guys that hunt for the hunt, they do it to kill deer, whether they are putting meat on the table or trophy hunting. They do the home work, set the stands and go out alone and hunt day after day. Just like most bowhunters would, but with a gun instead. Then there are the ones that do it for the experience. Like some of the camp hunters. They go to deer camp a week a year to BS with their buddies, drink some beer and kill some deer. Absolutely nothing wrong with that either, just different mindsets is all.

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

Do bow hunters roar around the woods on 4-wheelers? Do bow hunters shoot wildly and carelessly at deer? Do bow hunters trespass and hunt on property without permission? Do bow hunters take pot shots at deer from their trucks or from the public roads? Do bow hunters hunt while drunk?
You bet your ass they do, I have seen all of the above with "bowhunter only" types. And they are usually the fools that think they are better because they use a bow. You just don't see or hear about it as much because there are less bow hunters than there are gun hunters. Don't go by what you hear on the internet. These guys are a different breed of hunter. Don't fool yourself, there are plenty of hick bowhunters that pull the bow out a day before season and walk into the woods and wonder why they never see anything or when they do they miss or wound one. Where I live I see a ton of slob bow hunters, makes me sick. You don't see them on these though because they don't have enough interest in hunting to bother joining a site like this.

I however don't believe that bowhunters wound more game. I know for a fact more deer get wounded in gun season, but that is because there are way more gun hunters. However I would still bet if you took that into consideration and went by percentages bow hunters still wound less game. Without sounding elitist, most bow hunters do spend more time practicing and take a larger interest in the game they hunt.

That being said it doesn't matter what weapon you use, a slob hunter is a slob hunter irregardless of the weapon he chooses. You just see a few less of them in archery because it is harder and most slob hunters are lazy. I probably see more ignorant bow hunters than I do slob hunters. They just don't know any better is all.

I myself have never wounded an animal with a bow or a gun, and I have only ever had to shoot one more than once and that was with a muzzle loader because my scope mount was broke and I didn't know it.

I do not bow hunt and have zero interest in bow hunting. I am a modern rifle hunter only. I just happen to love modern, high power rifles with scopes. Maybe this comes from having read outdoor magazines growing up as a kid and becoming entranced by the slick looking rifles with scopes.
And there is not a damn thing wrong with that either. Enjoy your time in the field and at the range, I know I do. That is what is so great about this country.

Paul
Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

And there is not a damn thing wrong with that either. Enjoy your time in the field and at the range, I know I do. That is what is so great about this country.

Paul
10-4, Good Buddy!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

bow hunters are the scum in my toilet bowl

Old 11-30-2007, 06:07 PM

I just started hunting with a bow this past season, after 5 years of gun hunting and putting down 5 or 6 deer.
I have have a whole new respect for bowhunters.
Sure I saw more deer while bowhunting than I could ever see while gun hunting. I have to have to it them, I shot 5 times at 4 deer and I managed to only pull off one good shot and that just led to wounded deer i could never find (still kicking myself over that one.)
buck fever got the best of me every time while bowhunting.
where while i was out gun hunting it was just aim and shoot and down they went.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bow hunt (80%) , and gun hunt, but I cannot stand the wholy-er than thou attitude that comes from bowhunters, I do not hang out on that board, I see it at all of our local archery shops as well, I go get what I need and I am out of there, I cant stand the testosterone levels in their.
The gun forums are much nicer people in my opinion. Bowhunters remind me of the Harley crowd,( narrow minded ).

Quick Reply: Gun Hunters..what ya think of Bow Hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.