HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   treatment of wounded animal (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/220073-treatment-wounded-animal.html)

bull1776 11-29-2007 07:14 AM

treatment of wounded animal

new hunter here. first hunt a couple weeks ago. witnessed a wounded , downed deer shot at close range with 270WIN to ends its life. My question: in such a case, would it not be proper to use a small-caliber sidearm to end the creature's suffering ? Would a shot to the head be inappropriate, or inadvisable ? Please assume the animal is downed and there is no question of an errent 2nd shot; also please do not get derailed on the legal question of carrying a sidearm, concealed or not, for hunting purposes. Thanks for your advice.

farmcntry 11-29-2007 07:43 AM

RE: treatment of wounded animal

Maybe a .22 was available.

ipscshooter 11-29-2007 08:09 AM

Use whatever weapon you have. Here in Texas, we are allowed to carry a sidearm, and I used a .22 pistol to dispatch my son's first doe, after he shot her a little too far back and a little too low.

I guess whether to finish a wounded deer off with a headshot is dependent on what you plan to do with it. If it's a trophy buck, and you plan to do a shoulder mount, and you're only allowed to have a rifle or slug gun, then a head shot as a finisher would kinda mess things up...

mutantcoil 11-29-2007 08:12 AM

Head shot sounds messy to me. Why not the heart?

Lubricious 11-29-2007 08:16 AM

Use whatever you have at the time.

ipscshooter 11-29-2007 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: mutantcoil

Head shot sounds messy to me. Why not the heart?
In my case, my son had tracked his wounded doe for 100 yards through thickets of cactus, etc. The doe had hidden in some brush and the only clear shot to finish her was a head shot. The .22 didn't make a mess at all.

RugerM77.270 11-29-2007 10:37 AM

If another smaller weapon is available yes but just to save the meat. The head is messy but effective and the point to a second shot is to end the suffering as soon as possible. The deer cannot tell the difference between a 270 and a 22 if shot with an instant kill shot.

BuckMan8 11-29-2007 11:02 AM

I would just bring out a .22 pistol or something small like that and use that to relieve the animal.

teamster284 11-29-2007 11:57 AM

in ohio we can't carry another weapon. so i would have to slug him with a 12ga at close range. and would heart shot. head would not be an option with that gun.

kmunny19 11-29-2007 12:04 PM

Head shot, hunting rifle. Heart only if you need tosave the mount. Your responsibilty is to the deer at that point. Kill quick and without question. Besides, at the time you walk up to a downed deer, its about to get messy anyway.