Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

value of meat in freezer?

Old 01-24-2003, 12:07 PM

Default value of meat in freezer?

Recently I had some work done on my home. The workers while in my garage must have hit the cord to my freezer. In turn I didnt realize it was off for several day. I lost my 200 pound mule deer, About 200 pounds of elk meat,a wild turkey, 4 abalone,several ducks, about 20 chucker, not to mention all the store bought food. People have told me that my home owners ins. will cover this. But how do you put a price on that meat? If anyone has an idea please let me know.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:34 PM

Default RE: value of meat in freezer?

Sorry to hear the bad news. The question you have to ponder is how do you put a price on all your time. This meat can't be replaced at the supermarket. You have probably spent days, weeks, even months scouting and hunting this all becomes part of the equation. Don't forget the fun of packing out the bigger animals like the elk and deer. I don't know of an easy solution to this. If the insurance agrees to cover the loss I believe this meat should rank as high as say a Filet Mignon. Good Luck
Old 01-24-2003, 01:25 PM

I would talk to the company that did the work. There responsible for the problem not you why should you have to claim it on your insurance. I work for a heating and a/c company and about a year ago a guy I work with unpluged a freezer and we paid to replace the lost food. If they are a reputable company they should have no problem doing the same.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:48 PM

Agree with wibucksniper. Hand the company that did the work your bill, don't file a claim with your insurance company if you can avoid it. When you file a homeowner's insurance claim, you may wind up in a database that will impact your premiums in the future. Plus, you have the deductable to cover.

As far as valuing the contents, maybe a local butcher can give you some prices. You might also want to pick up a freezer alarm such as: http://www.cdnw.com/products/thermom...or_freezer.asp
Old 01-24-2003, 10:11 PM

Geez i have seen on food network where they cook farm raised venison. they say ..get this..... it costs about 40 to 50 bucks a pound!!!!

Ok at that rate you had $10,000 worth of venison! cut them a deal and settle for say 5000!!

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 01-25-2003, 02:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-25-2003, 02:49 AM
Typical Buck

Try some search engines with buy venison elk and so on. $25 is the low end, copy the ad and submit the price to the insurance company
(try Email its faster) they will do a little homework and be glan to get off for $25 a pound.
When you do a little research and show an insurance company some facts they get reasonable real fast, you did there work and it saves them money. I recently had a tree come down, sent some Email Pics and thay paid with no questions, saved them an adjustor visit and they knew it was no Bull!!!

One Shot One Kill Striper Phil
Old 01-25-2003, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the info.