Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cell Phones

Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 AM

Default Cell Phones

Well, I have been hunting like crazy this year and have not sean any dear for like 3 weeks. Nothing sense Nov. 15th. Well I had enough of work yesterday and decided to try a section of land that I hunted on Sunday. That is another story. Hit the woods at 1:00 pm and at 1:15 till 5:00 the local kids were tearing up the woods on the 4-wheelers. Another zero in the books. Well back to last night. In the woods at 2:00 pm. Jumped a doe on the way in. Good sign, I at lease saw one. I set up on the far side of a clearing where I have a good line of site of their trail. 30 min. in, another doe. about 45 min. of light and another doe comes down the trail looking back. Nothing following. Well, about 20 min. left of light and here comes 3 doe and a nice forkie. Noth what I really wanted but, I am scoreless and the freezer is bare. I take aim at the fork. Deep breathe, let some out, squeeze the trigger, and off goes the cell phone. I had it on vibrate and it was in the chest pocket of my jacket. It was my son checking in if it was ok for him and his brother to go to his buds house. The shot was high and a complete miss. I walked the area to verify. He was bummed and so was I. I told him that stuff happens and don't sweat it. The funny thing was as he was calling me, his younger brother was telling him not to call I was probably shooting one right now. What are the odds? Oh well, it was cold, windy, and a memorable time in the woods. Saturday, I will begin bow hunting again and I know right where I will be setting up. I didn't have a doe tag for firearm season, but bow season ...... GAME ON!

Sorry it was long, just had to vent, a little.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cell Phones

Isn't technology great?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 AM

Funny story. Too bad the freezer is empty though.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Had a similar thing happen to my brother. I took him bowhunting first time ever, he had 2 big does come in, got the bow and was just about let one fly when his phone (vibrate) went off and he missed @ 25yd. It was his wife!!! He was so angry, it was funny. Later on he said that when the phone went off it was like turning on one of those old arc welders
I allways have my phone on sillent and look at it once in a while or play games on it when things are slow.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same here. I don't use vibrate when hunting. Actually, I don't think I ever use it, just silent mode.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone I know only call during emergancies, or after dark. It stays on vibe.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

In 02 or 03 I can't remember, I had similar thing happen to me. I kind of had this buck patterned. He used the same deer run every other day at the same time. He never walked it two days in a row. I had atree stand set up about 75 yards away. I'm sitting in the stand on a Sunday. I forgot toput my cell phone on vibrate.Just asI see him and get my 308 ready..........my mother calls. It was for something great like it was going to snow that night or something like that. The buck was gone. [/align][/align]I get home andtell my wife. She says well maybe you should take tomorrow off (Monday)and see if youhave better luck. I said, I got Tuesday offI'm gonna get 'em then. She looked at me like I was crazy. Sitting in the stand Tuesday at 4:30ish, here he comes, cell phone was on vibrate, 308 was ready. He stepped into a little clearing of open woods..............that's all she wrote! [/align][/align]
Old 11-28-2007, 12:34 PM

I tend to keep mine on silent. Most people that would call me know when I'm in the woods, so text messages and phone calls are at a minimum. Still, I've always been afraid of it going off (vibrating or shining through my pocket at dusk) when a deer's nearby.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM

Too bad.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't get it. If you guys are afraid that the phone ringing or vibrating will cost you a deer why don't you keep it turned completely off and only turn it on if you need to call or to check whether someone called you? You only have to check it a few times each day. Many of us hunt far enough away from home that it wouldn't make a difference if we picked up an emergency call right away or not. We wouldn't be much help to anyone anyway if we were out hunting. Communication among hunting partners on the otherhand is much easier with two way radios in my opinion. A hunt could be screwed up with one of them also, but I think if you know how to use them right, it would be less likely than with a cell phone.

Quick Reply: Cell Phones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.