Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question about other hunters.... >

Question about other hunters....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about other hunters....

Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about other hunters....

Lanse, Alsatian, those were two of the most EXCELLENT posts that I have ever seen on any hunting forum!! I completely agree with you both. Unfortunately people in this country are very gullible and just follow along with what others do. I don't see hunting changing for the better anytime soon. Greed seems to drive the world and it has now infected a pastime like hunting.

Alsatian, I love your story on your deer being considered a "management" buck. I have heard some kids on these boards who probably have a deer or two under their belts talking about how they took a "management" deer this time out. Please, give me a break! They should spend some time hunting in areas where many others have no other choice but to hunt. Maybe then they would learn what hunting really should be all about.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:27 AM

jealousy sucks! im just glad to see people have the enjoyment of being able to take a trophy. hunting is about being with friends and family and having fun outdoors.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree completely with that Steve. Theres been some excellent posts on here guys...thanks for the responses. Alsatian I am just about exactly like you in the loner and do everything myself part. I camp with another guy but we part at daylight and meet at dark back at the cabin. So I can relate to a lot in your post. I figured up all the expenses this year and gas was by far my biggest expense. I often joke I could eat steak every day for what it costs to deer hunt...lol. I just like to put a couple in the freezer and I always figured if I hunted long enough and hard enough eventually a big one would step in front of me.

I dont really think any of us are looking for a pat on the back but what we really dont want is the other stuff. The trip up north deer hunting has always been sort of a mental vacation for me. The anticipation and everything else make the trip worth while.....actually killing a deer or a nice deer is just icing on the cake.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 AM

Obviously hunters have their own opinions on how/why/when/where a deer should or shouldn't be killed.....but if it is done legally, that is all that really matters. It is nobody else's business besides your own.

In our camp, when a hunt is successful we all get giddy regardless of who it was or the size of the antlers (if it even has antlers). Some of our guys are looking for wall hangers, some look onlyto fill their freezer, and others to get their first one. The one principle that we all agree on is that no deer should be killed unless you are planning to eat it. Other than that we enjoy being outdoors, in the woods, and away from the craziness that is life.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

I was wondering if any of you guys that have killed a nice buck this year or in the recent past have noticed this. I was hauling the buck I killed on Thanksgiving Day home. It was my best gun kill to date..was a 9 point that will gross around 130. Really nice for northern WV but what Im typing this about is the fact that I swear I have never gotten so many dirty looks in my life from other hunters. It hasnt changed any since I got home......I cant believe this....since when has deer hunting turned into nothing but a big contest? I think a lot of people out there need to sit down and examine exactly why it is that they are in the woods. Isnt it supposed to be fun? Arent we all in this together? Maybe Im too old fashioned. It looks like the Jackie Bushman mentality has taken over the sport.

What is up with that? Hell if somebody kills a nice one I am always happy for them. Always congratulate them or shake their hand..... There were4 or 5 people who acted like that this time....the vast majority were like little kids who had their candy stolen. I can see the reason I have hunted alone for so long.

Have you guys had similar experiences?

Congrats on your buck.......but were you driving around with the tailgate down?......or like some people who tie it to the 4 wheeler rack when they have plenty of room to put it on the trailer? Everytime i see this i just smile.