Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question about other hunters.... >

Question about other hunters....

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about other hunters....

Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about other hunters....

Ive seen it. I feel sorry for those that let jealousy control them.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am proud of the fact that our group of guys (sons included) have a "we" mentality...as in we tageed three deer this season. We are all proud and happy when one of us is scuuessful and it has always been that way.

That being said we have had other close friend who are also hunters make nitwit comments about how lucky we are or other jealous remarks. We take it with a rrain of salt. Consider the source.

Be proud of what you have done. You done good! Congrats!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, there are a few people around here that would not only give you a dirty look, but ask you EXACTLY where you got it to make sure you weren't on THEIR land. I hunt my own land with just me and my kids. I remember the days of hunting with my family back in PA (and when I say family, I mean Dad, uncles, cousins....the whole lot). It didn't matter who shot the deer. We were just happy that someone got something and that we were all sharing in the venison.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have only been hunting for a year now, 1 month last season and all this season, but I can see where this "mine is bigger then yours", "that should have been my kill" mentality comes from. Alot of people look at hunting as a sport. It is not about the hunt so much as the kill for these people.....notice I am calling them people and not hunters. Even with my lack of time hunting, I have killed 5 deer in my short time,one wall mounted 7, three does(one piebald),and a fork. My buddy had his dad drive up from Georgia to hunt opening shotgun with us, and a young kid who doesn't get out much tagged along also.....I was more then willing to give up my stand for them to hunt it. I would have got more joy out of them harvesting a deer out of my stand then me doing it myself. Some people just have that competitive drive and turns this wonderful thing called hunting into a sport. Jelousy is a bad color on any hunter!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remember when it was a harvest, instead of a contest? Good times.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 AM

Those Hunters need to learn to relex when it come right down to it! Jelousy, isn't good or justified in this sport!
No matter how big or how many points that deer has, there is always another out there that is bigger or will score higher! Just be proud that a fellow hunter has scored a nice one! And remember the bigger one is still out there!
Just my 2 cents!
I love sharing in the excitement when someone shoots a good one! Thats jsut as much fun for me as getting it myself!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I remember when most folks were happy to just get out hunting with a decent chance of getting any type of deer. Now you have all sorts of people that think that buying a permit entitles them to a trophy buck and the whole damn world needs to stay out of their way. I've said it before and I'll say it again, i would be perfectly happy if the deer population got reduced to a fraction of its current level, which would help to end some of this nonsense.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't expect too much from hunters or you will no doubt be very disappointed. Sorry that I have to say this since I am also a hunter, but this has been my experience with hunting and hunters. There are bad apples in every segment of life as others pointed out, but I have to say that in hunting the percentage is a good deal higher. I think it's best to hunt with a relative, or a friend or two, but in general it's best to just go about your own business and not get involved with too many other hunters, because it typically never ends nicely. At least that has been my experience. Just too much greed and jealosy for my taste.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations on your nice buck. I am mostly a loner when it comes to hunting deer. I hunt alone. I draw my satisfactions alone. I prefer to have as little contact with others as possible when hunting. I have sometimes experienced odd responses from others about my deer, but I just sort of overlook or ignore. These weren't necessarily jealous reactions or comments, as was so in your case. I suggest you just ignore these other hunters's reactions and enjoy your own satisfaction. I took a small, probably young buck this year and a guy at the check-in station made a summary comment "that is just about a perfect 'management' buck." First, I don't really understand what that term means, but I'm guessing it has to do with culling out undesireable members of the gene pool to better foster preferred members of the gene pool -- which I assume means more desirably shaped antlers. Well, I don't hunt for antlers, and I don't give a care about the size or shape of antlers on animals I take. I was happy to take this younger buck because I'm guessing he will be better eating -- the motivation I have to hunt, in addition to the pure pleasure of the hunt -- than would be an older, more mature, larger racked buck. The whole language of "management" with regards to hunting strikes me as inappropriate and even perverted. I don't manage a deer herd, I wade out into an otherwise natural context and hunt in the environment such as it is. I don't want to be a deer rancher, a deer habitat manager, or any of that irrelevant crap. So . . . I just took his comments askew and ignored them rather than responding or replying back.

I consider myself a meat hunter. I don't need the meat to survive or to reduce my cost of living. Truth be told, my venison is a lot more expensive per pound than any meat I can buy in the store, including veal, fillet mignon, swordfish, or what have you (I pay $250 for my non-resident combination license, I drive a Suburban about 700 miles before the deal is done [$120 gas?], I go out to the shooting range a couple of times sighting in [$30 total], gift to my hunting host ($50), consider time away from work -- all for maybe 40 LBS of deboned venison meat). But I think the direction of my hunt is to take an animal -- doe or buck is equally acceptable, or even more preference for a doe which may be more tender than a buck -- which I will skin myself, quarter myself, butcher into meal sized packages myself, and cook myself. I do NOT envy other hunters who take larger bodied animals, in reference to an earlier comment on this thread. My buck was 90 LBS field dressed, kind of on the small side of bucks in my Oklahoma hunting ground. I look at that size and think, well, maybe this is a younger, less mature buck and the meat will be more toothsome than a bigger buck would be.

Anyway, just ignore those jealous hunters.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

I got a really nice buck this year and everyone is just excited for me and wants to see it. Some people are just jealous and think they should get something like that and you dont deserve it.

Quick Reply: Question about other hunters....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.