HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How to hunt pressured Whitetail's? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/219792-how-hunt-pressured-whitetails.html)

Tabor1 11-27-2007 01:43 PM

How to hunt pressured Whitetail's?

I live in a area in Western Wisconsin. Deer Hunting pressure is huge.

Father Forkhorn 11-27-2007 02:39 PM

RE: How to hunt pressured Whitetail's?

These things come to mind:

1. Be the first to get there and last to leave. Don't use that last few minutes of daylight to head back to your truck. Use a flashlight for that. Hunt!

2. Utilize the other hunters. Try to set up where they'll move deer to you. That might mean getting in much earlier and going in a different way so all of those hunters that stopped in the parking lot drive deer to you.

3. Try to find a place that deer can escape pressure like a patch of cover that everyone ignores or a food source that's overlooked. Maybe there's a patch of land that nobody hunts, a swamp with a bit of dry land, an island, etc. Maybe you could create one yourself by not hunting a part of the land for a week--then setting up to nail deer that have taken refuge.

1shotkill1993 11-27-2007 03:25 PM

find out where the deer arent pressured and hunt there.

BigTiny 11-27-2007 05:43 PM

If you see a place and say, "There's no way I'm dragging a deer out of there!", then you found your spot.:)

WKP Todd 11-27-2007 05:58 PM

Find new areas that aren't pressured! Put yourself on a property where big deer move during daylight hours.

Sea Monkey 11-27-2007 06:11 PM

In addition to what the others have said about finding the most difficult, inaccessable spot, I suggest you hunt during the middle of the day.

DoctorDeath 11-27-2007 07:06 PM

Corn and a spotlight :D

dd

MN_Deerman 11-28-2007 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

Try to find a place that deer can escape pressure like a patch of cover that everyone ignores or a food source that's overlooked. Maybe there's a patch of land that nobody hunts, a swamp with a bit of dry land, an island, etc. Maybe you could create one yourself by not hunting a part of the land for a week--then setting up to nail deer that have taken refuge.
Once you have such a piece of land, then what? The reason I ask is because I have a20 acre patch of woods that haven't been hunted all year. I don't know if deer are there or not but they hold there every other year and I don't want to walk around looking for sign for fear of scaring them off because this patch of woods has held some pretty impressive bucks in the past. Just plant a stand on this edge and hope for the best? That's been my strategy so far but it hasn't been too successful.

Gundeck 11-28-2007 08:24 AM

20 acres is a mighty small patch of woods. I have a similar patch next to the house and I can tell you that some days there are a bunch of deer in there and the next day there is nothing. They must be going someplace else, as well. Find out where they are going and how they are getting there.

cal516 11-28-2007 11:54 AM

My buddy and I are having the same trouble. Great spots that normally have quite a bit of deer have dried up. But while driving out we must have seen 15-20 of them..all of course in non-huntable land. They are going SOMEWHERE. Like everyone has said. Go where you think WOULDN'T. The deer are feeling the pressure. It wouldn't hurt to scout down into those 20 acres and look for trails in and around. If no one is hunting there it shouldn't push them anywhere. Wait a few days then set up there. I did that in my back yard...I have about 3 acres and there is a long strip of state land..pretty much a valley. The deer are pushing into there. My wife saw an 8 point (at least) INSIDE our fence around 9 pm.What could hurt to try something different? If you are not seeing deer now in the normal areas you hunt...then what would change?