Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How to hunt pressured Whitetail's? >

How to hunt pressured Whitetail's?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to hunt pressured Whitetail's?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to hunt pressured Whitetail's?

Once you have such a piece of land, then what? The reason I ask is because I have a 20 acre patch of woods that haven't been hunted all year. I don't know if deer are there or not but they hold there every other year and I don't want to walk around looking for sign for fear of scaring them off because this patch of woods has held some pretty impressive bucks in the past. Just plant a stand on this edge and hope for the best? That's been my strategy so far but it hasn't been too successful.
You might try a drive or stillhunt it, taking account for wind. Or, sneaking in quietly and posting up somewhere that looks good. Whatever you do, stealth is obviously going to be a key and the hunting tough. You're dealing with the smart deer that aren't easily shot.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Father knows best....
Old 11-28-2007, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

Once you have such a piece of land, then what? The reason I ask is because I have a 20 acre patch of woods that haven't been hunted all year. I don't know if deer are there or not but they hold there every other year and I don't want to walk around looking for sign for fear of scaring them off because this patch of woods has held some pretty impressive bucks in the past. Just plant a stand on this edge and hope for the best? That's been my strategy so far but it hasn't been too successful.
You might try a drive or stillhunt it, taking account for wind. Or, sneaking in quietly and posting up somewhere that looks good. Whatever you do, stealth is obviously going to be a key and the hunting tough. You're dealing with the smart deer that aren't easily shot.
Father, you took the words right out of my mouth, mind, fingers??? Whatever!
Its a small patch of trees, so you should be able to access it in several differentlocation to keep the wind in your face. Be Slow, be quiet! You should be able to sneak up on deer in there, if you are carefull!
I hunt alot of public land, that has alot of hunting pressure, the deer stay around the same areas for a while! But once they are spooked several times, they tend to find a new sanctuary! So you should get a couple cracks at them! Well, one crack at that big buck!!! You never know, and thats the beauty! No guarantees!!!!
Good luck!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's snowing pretty hard right now and sticking on the ground so I plan on going out there in a couple hours to hunt for a few hours- 20 mph wind and snow should make it kinda crappy but I know they still move in that weather.

Also I forgot to mention that the patch of woods isn't sitting in the middle of some field isolated from anything, it's connected to a much bigger patch of woods, 20 acres of itjets onto my land, the rest of the woods is hunted pretty heavily - that's why deer have been in there in past years. I took the deer in my avatar out of there 2 years ago.