Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finishing off a deer

Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Finishing off a deer

Point blank in the neck finishes them off instantly...Your severing the spinal column ending all pain and suffering...I will notwatch an animal suffer...Even with a well placed lung shot I've seen them lay there gasping for air...one quick shot to the neck and it's all over.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a 9mm with me for just such an occasion.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is part of hunting and no one likes to do it. I have seen people die that I had far less sympathy for than these fine creatures.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I carry my .44 with 44 special loads. 180 gr hollow points behind the ear. It's not really too messy. A decent buck, i would aim at the base of the head.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

If finishing the job bothers you, don't start it. Simple.
Right On!!!!!
There will probably come a point and time when some hunters will have to finish one off. I've had to and it sounds like a few others have commented they had to do the same. These are two of the dumbest comments I ever heard out of two "hunters".
Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 AM

The finish shot is no fun, but humaine and it should be as quick and as painless as possible.
Side note:
On our last hunting trip, my buddy, who is new to deer hunting, happened to be the first one to the deer that had been shot in the vitals, but not expird yet. He went to finish it off, but didn't really think about what he was doing. He shot it in the neck as the thing was facing him!
The bullet went in the neck, down the spine (between the spine and the strip loin, believe it or not), never touched any of the guts! Hit the pelvic bone, shattering it of course and bounced between the two hind quarters several time(making quite the mess I might add)! I found the bullet between the muscles and the skin on the hind leg.
It was a messy situation to field dress. I had no idea what I should be cutting! And it ruined quite a bit of meat on those quarters!
I definetly learned a lesson from it! Never shoot when they are facing you, even for the finish shot! I just hope he learned a lesson, probably not seeing, I was the one cleaning up the mess!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 AM

man that sucks i know the feeling
Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've had to finish more deer thanI would have liked, but you just get it done as quickly as possible.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

There will probably come a point and time when some hunters will have to finish one off. I've had to and it sounds like a few others have commented they had to do the same. These are two of the dumbest comments I ever heard out of two "hunters".
I get no enjoyment from it - it is sometimes a necessary part of the hunt - no more - no less.

If it bothered me the way it seems to some, I would simply not hunt.
I see no reason to seek out actions that are unpleasant to me - that sisfire would seem to me to be incredibly stupid.

Steve
Old 11-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use my knife a few times a year too.Be carefull so you dont get kicked or horned.
A few times each year?
You need to learn how to quickly and effectively take a deer if you’re doing this on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Finishing off a deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.