Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

wall hanging standards

Old 11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default wall hanging standards

What are your standards before you get a deer mounted? I am trying to only get deer mounted that are bigger than the previous deer mounted and was successfull this year in doing so with a 130" + deer, since my previous was a little over 120".
Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wall hanging standards

I say to each his own. I have no standards, I mounted my first buck and don't plan on mounting anything unless it is special to me. A trophy is in the eye of the beholder!!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

140" or more for me (i have 8 already) so i am running out of room, but i am happy to have that problem.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 AM

I don't know, your call. I would say deffinetlysomething with a spread wider then the ears and nothing smaller than a 10 point.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Maryland_Whitetail

I say to each his own. I have no standards, I mounted my first buck and don't plan on mounting anything unless it is special to me. A trophy is in the eye of the beholder!!
I agree to me every buck I shot is wall standards.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have my first buck mounted and then I have a 142 inch 8 pointer. I say that if I can match that with more points I will get another one mounted. I also now have a buddy who is doing a good job at mounting deer and he will do it for far less then the guy I used to go to. I will have to see if or when that day comes.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should get a mount based on what you would like to see on the wall, not how big it is. If there is something different or sentimental about the deer, or if it is just a nice rack, get it mounted.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only shoot bucks that I would mount!! If it isn't big enough for me to mount I wont shoot it!!! Walt
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BuckMan8

I don't know, your call. I would say deffinetlysomething with a spread wider then the ears and nothing smaller than a 10 point.
I've done two shoulder mounts (an 8 point and a 10 point), and I'd say that limiting to "nothing smaller than a 10 point" is the wrong way to do it. My 8 is is 4" wider and scores 14" more than my 10.

My son got his first buck (a 95"+ 8 point) last week, and it's getting a shoulder mount. Relative to the two shoulder mounts I've had done previously, he's kinda small, but, in terms of memories, he's by far the biggest of the bunch.

I've had European Mounts done of the three other bucks I've shot. Every buck is significant in some way or I wouldn't have squeezed the trigger...
Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

If I shoot the deer it is worth hanging on the wall or I dont shoot

Quick Reply: wall hanging standards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.