Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cleaning the Skull Plate

Old 11-25-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Cleaning the Skull Plate

So I just shot my first but a few days ago, and I want to mount the antlers, I cut them off the skull, but they are still attatched to the skull plate, I poured some salt on it to dry all some of the crap up (flesh, brain matter) but there is the 2 patches of fur around each antler, how do I get this off?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cleaning the Skull Plate

you bury it, it decays after a while
Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

you bury it, it decays after a while
All the bugs are in hibernation now, so there is nothing to decompose it, can I put it in a bucket with some dirt, and then just get some worms, or maggots from a bait store?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

well see i bury mine for a long time to make sure that all gets decayed so just try that some thing should start chewin on it (id think)

if not you might want to try gettin some maggots. and if that doesnt work then i just dont know what to do.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

well i cut it off with a knife then but salt on it but if your mounting the skull..........get some flesh eating maggots
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me see if I understand you here. You want to remove the hair off the skull plate and around the base of the antlers? If so, all you need to do is put the antlers in a pot of water and boil them for a while. The hair will come off easily after they have been boiled.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take a very sharp knife and remove all the hair and soft tissue from the skull plate and around the base of the antlers. Once completed, I boil the plate for about 30 minutes. I repeat the soft tissue removal process and include a scouring brush along with the knife to assist in the removal of the rest of thetissue. I boil again for about 30 minutes and repeat the soft tissue removal process. I let dry and mount the next day.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I make sure all the skin is off, then I boil the entire skull in a 10 gallon pot. When its softened up I take it to the car wash and use the soapy high pressure to clean it up,done deal, its hanging the same day!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:24 AM

I remove as much as possible with a knife and put a little bleach on that and it will get rid of it or you can burry it.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 AM

If you have any fire ant beds in your yard put the base inside the ant bed for about a week or so. When you go back to get it it will all be gone.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Skull Plate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.