Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why I love gun hunting as well as bow >

Why I love gun hunting as well as bow

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why I love gun hunting as well as bow

Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why I love gun hunting as well as bow

Any kid can go to deer camp after not shooting for 9 months and fire a rifle at a deer from 70 yds. Hell that's part of the beauty of it (I would suppose). Not as much scent worry. Not as much problem with movement Just a lax atmosphere. Sounds divine.
Spoken like a guy without a clue. I always get deer bowhunting. Usually about 10 a year. Havent got one with a gun the past two.
My kids probably shoot their rifles as much or more than most guys shoot a bow. Heck, bows are pretty simple to shoot acurately now anyway. If your not overbowed you should be shooting nice groups pretty quick if your setups tuned.

I'd bet money that if you took a guy thats never shot either a modern compound bow or a rifle & gave him one of each he'd shoot the bow proficiently faster. I'v seen so many guys scared of their guns recoil it makes me laugh sometimes. Then they'll tell you how their 300 superwhizbang magnum is good to 400+ yards when they cant hit stuff at 100.

I think its simply because bowhunting is mostly an individual sport. All hunting is but traditionally guys have been going on hunting trips with guns forever. My son will bowhunt next year & probably get his first deer. It'll be a big thrill & he will never forget.
But I think the memories that come from me him & his brother going to deer camp will last as long or longer & be more meaningfull. Theres so much more to it than the act of killing a deer. Most folks, even some hunters obviously, will never understand, unless they do.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

There's nothing "clueless" about the statement I made. it's 100% accurate. My son is living proof. 70yds and I don't give the deer a chance in hades.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have nothing against using a gun, I do occasionally. First time I ever shot a rifle, 30-06, was at a deer at 60yds and it was a perfect double lung. First time I shot at a deer with a bow I missed at 15yds. For ME a gun is easier. JMO!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one in here who started hunting later in life. I started at 38. My dad was more of a bird and tree rat hunter, but he quit before I was born.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Leverdude

Spoken like a guy without a clue.

Like I said.

ORIGINAL: atlasman

if you look at these pics and don't "get it", then it could never be explained to you.

You are just wasting your time leverdude.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

You guys all said it perfect. The thing about gun season is the tradition and the family. Its one thing to hunt alone, but when gun season rolls around and its time for deer camp, stories, pranks, freezing your butt off, hearing each other shoot and wonder what's happening, the smell of the powder, all the hunters driving around wearing orange waving at each other, strangers becoming friends at gas stations just talking deer stories.... I dont know, its just something altogether different. Ill always love it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the bowhunters who look down at gun hunters never have hunted the way many gun hunters do. Many bowhunters hunt in these suburban woodlots where there are lots of deer and sooner or later one will walk within bowrange for them. If they were to hunt where many gun hunters have to, they would probably never get a deer. I started out gun hunting and then a number of years later started bowhunting also. I am at a point where bowhunting has become of NO interest to me. With the limited amount of time I have to hunt I am tired of just seeing deer. If I go hunting, I want a good chance of getting a deer, and a rifle is my weapon of choice for this. From my experience gun hunters are generally more content with what they bag. Bowhunters seem to be more obsessed with trophy animals which really has little to do with the hunting experience as a whole.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me add a unique deer camp experience. My father hunted, but stopped before I was old enough. I started deer hunting in my mid twenties--if you can call it that. I was simply on my own and more or less stumbling through the woods, as I look back on it.

Needless to say, I didn't really have a deer camp experience coming from that kind of background. It wasn't possible.

Where I got the experience, oddly enough, is because I'm a priest and a monk. I did my seminary studies at a seminary run by another monastery in Pennsylvania. The monks had an old farm and land that they used to hunt. It was deer camp in every sense of the word.

I miss that experience. I'm the only hunter in my community and have to do it alone now. I find a lot of enjoyment in the solitude, but deer camp has something irreplaceable. Everyone's excited and out for a good time. If it were possible, I'd get together with those guys every year.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

There's nothing "clueless" about the statement I made. it's 100% accurate. My son is living proof. 70yds and I don't give the deer a chance in hades.

Whoppee doo. Give the kid a bow & a deer might walk right in front of him too.
Like I said, you dont get it.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Leverdude

Spoken like a guy without a clue.

Like I said.

if you look at these pics and don't "get it", then it could never be explained to you.

You are just wasting your time leverdude.
Yes I suppose your right. I'm thick headed tho.

Quick Reply: Why I love gun hunting as well as bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.