Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Preseason Efforts to Harvest During Season??

Old 11-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Preseason Efforts to Harvest During Season??

Hello eveyone, I am a college student from Wisconsin and I live 2 hours away from where I go to school. This season, I had little time to scout out area, shoot my gun, or prepare all the needed gear for the seasons hunt. I purchased a fiberoptics sight for my shotgun and put it on 2 days before the opener, with no time to shoot before the season. I went out opening morning, realizing I had no handwarmers, binocs, or my multi grunter; all items I have not gone without in years past. I felt I was more stressed here than in the hours before a final exam.

I coped with what I had, saw a couple of deer that were far out of range, and met up with the other hunters in my party. We put a drive on a woods and kicked up a mature doe. I happened to be posted and shot 3 times, missing every shot. I was disappointed with my miss but knew there was a lot of season left.

Two days later, I saw nothing in the morning but wasnt about to give up. I went out at about 2, few asleep in my stand, and was awoken by the rustling of a doe and small buck feeding on some marsh grass. I got my gun ready, waited for the right shot, and fired at the doe 5 times. I got down to check for a blood trail which I was expecting and found nothing. The next day, I went out to look in the daylight for a trail and found nothing. I decided then to go to the range and fire a few rounds of sluggs. What I realized was that I was shooting consistently low with my new sights on. I was upset, knowing that I may have filled a tag if I had taken the time to do a little work before the season started.

I just had a few questions for others out there: Is there a way to counterbalance that front fiberoptics sight with a rear sight? Also, I was wondering if anyone had any useful preseason practices that helped them have a successful hunt. This year, I felt more stressed and pressured from lack of preperation than any other year. Thaks guys and good luck.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Preseason Efforts to Harvest During Season??

Old 11-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

You went hunting with new sights and didn't check them out at a range???????
Old 11-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

uh that was pretty stupid on your part for not checking the brand spankin new sights in on your shotty. i
Old 11-24-2007, 06:50 PM

thats not the most intelligent thing ive heard , you owe it to the deer to ensure its accurate , im only glad that you missed completly.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Everybody will agree that shooting at a deer or any other animal without knowing your sights is a little stupid.2 hours at the range would have put 2 deer in your freezer! Shootall year. Whenever you can get a half day or so cruise to the range and shoot. I like to practice any situation i may run into,kneeling, standing, against a tree, and so on. Make a list right now of what you need or want for next season, its fresh in your head, and most places get rid of some stuff super cheap after the seasons over. Scent eliminator-$6; after season ends-$2.I would check out good spots for hunting all year too. If you get a week off school for july 4th or any other time, take half the dayshooting and the other half scouting. Sometimes its tough, but remember those deer you missed and that should motivate you enough tomake time to get it done!!!