HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   stolen again!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/219066-stolen-again.html)

jmac33 11-22-2007 05:29 PM

stolen again!!

went to my stand on some public land today and my stand was there but my climbing sticks were not!! i should of known better i have had it happen before!!! i just dont get it why do hunters steal from other hunters!! really killed my mood!! i got no problem with any onesitting in my spot if im not there feel free but they just steal these days! this happen to anyothers alot? im sure it has!

GOODHUNTING

Remnard 11-22-2007 05:40 PM

RE: stolen again!!

Get a digitalgame camera and hide it facing the tree stand. Who ever steals it will get caught on film. Of course they may steal your game camera too!

warny 11-22-2007 05:44 PM

That blows.[:@]

johnny2 11-22-2007 06:10 PM

I know what you mean man..I had a ladder stand up for 2 years
Then I go to check it and they smashed it all to hell,cause they
couldn't get it off the tree..I had it locked with a chain and also
odd sized bolts through the ladder so you would have to have
different wrenchs to take it apart...I was pissed man..
But I guess it was my own fault for trusting other hunters..
My son has had 2 stands stolen as well....This is in
Northeastern Pennsylvania....

FtWorthHunter 11-22-2007 06:22 PM

Doubt it will make you feel any better, but I've had multiple things stolen from my place and I OWN the land. Whitetrash neighbors poach, trespass, and steal everything they can.

I haven't had a digital camera stolen yet. One I have is very cheap and it wouldn't be a big loss. However, I built a metal case for it and any attempt to open it without a key would render it useless.The more expensive cameras I have are actually locked and chained to trees. They could get them, but it'd take a welding torch or a ton of tools. I guess they could cut down the trees they're attached too, but it's not that easy to cut down a tree that size.

JW 11-22-2007 06:29 PM

I also had that happen and I take my ladder stick out with me now each time I hunt. I have also devised a lock cable to keep my ladder stick there. I lock each stand I place - as I trust no one!

Those people who steal your stuff are just Slob Hunters who give us all a bad name! That is the reason I cut no slack to tresspassers and turn in all people poaching!

JW

NH/PETE 11-22-2007 06:40 PM

I hunt from the ground now. Can't steal that from me.

20 slugs 11-22-2007 06:48 PM

Hey I know how ya feel there,s been 10 stands stolen & pop-ups in my area . But the lowest of all was my buddys stand about 10x10 and 12'high made special for him and his whchair.On his property they had the ***** to take part of it down or take what they wanted.

Painted Horse 11-22-2007 07:01 PM

I've never hunted back east and have never used a stand. It's just not the way we hunt here in the open west. So explain to me something.

Is it proper to take stands, ladders etc and leave them in the forest. I don't have a problem with leaving them for two weeks or what ever the hunting season is. Some of the post above sounded like the equipment was left eyar after year. I think I'd be put off if I found other hunters placing such objects and leaving them all year. If you own the land, I don't care, your busienss, but on public land. I think every hunter should remove anything they packed in. Whether thats a Coke can, a candy bar wrapper, a blind or a tree stand. You should leave the forest the way you found it.

The reason I ask, is because a family hunts the same area I do. They pack in all kinds of crap every year and hide it in the trees when they go home. They have a cache that includes a big army wall tent, metal folding chairs, a big metal grate to put over the fire etc. Since they have all the comforts of home they bring a large group up hunting each year. Woman, children, dogs etc. It's a regular circus at their camp. I'm not against them bringing their family and having a good time. But I think they ought to follow the same rules everybody else has to live by. My wife doesn't want to go rough it, and I can't pack in all the comforts of home for her. Hence she doesn't come. That's OK, I enjoy the weekend with my friends.

It the crap wasn't so dang heavy, I'd probably clean up the crap and pack it out. I just find it extremely distasteful that others think they own this part of the national forest use it like a storage shed.

Don't take me wrong, we pack in a wall tent, sleeping bags, cots etc and leave the camp set up for two, maybe three weeks. But we pack everything out when the hunt is over. And if we are very successful, and we end up packing out a lot of elk meat, it requires an extra trip back to get the gear.

So enlighten me. Do you leave your tree stand for longer than the season? If you do, I might take it to clean up what I consider a mess that somebody left.

FtWorthHunter 11-22-2007 07:11 PM

In Texas, most hunting is done from stands, at least for whitetails. I've never hunted from a stand for mule deer out on the south plains. Also, a vast majority of the land is private.

We don't let people hunt our places unless they are in blinds. Just too dangerous to have folks walking around. Of course, we're not hunting nearly the amounts of land you are in Utah.

We leave all our stands/blinds up year round. You could actually hunt the area I like to hunt from the ground pretty easily and I used to use pop-up blinds or just sit in the brush. Only took one rattle snake going over my boot to get myself elevated!