HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Blinds How effective??????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/219011-deer-blinds-how-effective.html)

johnny2 11-22-2007 09:53 AM

Deer Blinds How effective???????

Am looking into getting a deer blind (portable)
How good are they really? Can I use it without putting it out
weeks ahead of time? I have had it with the local
thieving S O B'S,if you know what I mean....I figured if I was to put some brush
around it,it would be ok or maybe next to a big oak...
Please share some of your on findings...Have a happy day....John

deerhunter1224 11-22-2007 10:02 AM

RE: Deer Blinds How effective???????

well this morning had two deer walk less then 10 yards from my blind didnt know I was there. talk about a rush being that close to alive deer at eye level.

warny 11-22-2007 02:39 PM

I have an Ameristep "Doghouse" blind and love it.

johnny2 11-22-2007 03:37 PM

Warny---That is the same model as I got..Easy set up not so easy
take down..:D
I appreciate your reply,BUT you did not mention how effective it was.

Can you take it our today and have deer come in close or do you
have to leave it all for a month or so..Is it water proof in a down
pour or only in a sprinkle rain..Do the deer stock easy if you
happen to make noise while in it? Do you use any type of deer scent
around it?

warny 11-22-2007 05:52 PM

I got an 8 point from it last year.
This year I got a doe,and father in law got a 6 point.It is waterproof,but in a downpour,it's loud inside.:D

I put alittle fox urine around it as a cover scent.

David Kansas 11-22-2007 06:02 PM

I use a pop-up blind and have had deer brush againt it when walking pass, just cut some brush or tree limbs and lay in front and sides. As long as you do not make much noise they may never know when you are home. I shot a nice 9 point last year at 15 yards out of mine with a M/L talk about a rush.

Beezer 11-22-2007 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: warny

I have an Ameristep "Doghouse" blind and love it.
I have the same I use for turkey hunting so my son can sit with me. In one of my areas for deer I have an Ameristep Outhouse. I have one doe that has come out the last two days and she's noticed the difference when I have the windows zipped open as opposed to closed. She stayed around peeking and blowing for almost 20 minutes yesterday, never ran but just hid in the brush and peeked out occasionally. I think she was looking for a reaction and she almost got a loud one from the shotgun. I've changed strategy with her now, I've left the blind zipped open and am using my climber in the area she peeks out from. I'm hoping she'll be so preoccupied with the blind that she doesn't realize I'm above her.

Beezer 11-22-2007 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: johnny2
Can you take it our today and have deer come in close or do you
have to leave it all for a month or so..Is it water proof in a down
pour or only in a sprinkle rain..Do the deer stock easy if you
happen to make noise while in it? Do you use any type of deer scent
around it?
Had deer within 50yds the first day.
Waterproof, but I haven't been in it in a downpour.
Don't know about the noise, but be careful rubbing up against the sides.
Sometimes I hang a scent in the window if there's a crosswind blowing in the wrong direction because it's beside a bedding area.

Make sure to wear black and don't completely unzip two windows, deer will notice you against the opposite window if it's open.

mello_collins 11-22-2007 08:00 PM

I have had my best results by brushing it up and leaving it. Don't open windows across from each other. They will see your movement with the backlight from the other window. I also started just unzipping a small vertical section of one of the zippers. Just enough to slip the rifle and scope out. Some deer will notice the large dark opening. The best way to explain this is to set one up and walk to where you expect deer to be and look at the blind. The dark opening stands out like a sore thumb. If you are bow hunting the shoot thru mesh helps a lot. If it looks out of place to you then you need more brush and a smaller opening. I have thought about sewing in a small window myself, just haven’t found the time.

mello

bowhunter2117 11-22-2007 08:21 PM

I have an Ameristep "Doghouse" it is great I have had deer within 15 yards of me. In the rain like we will have Monday for the first day of PA rifle you and your gun are dry all day, bone chilling wind is cut way down, if a deer sneaks in like they always seem to do, you can reposition without it seeing you. I will never hunt without one again