Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

another slug gun question

Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 AM

Default another slug gun question

I was once told that you cant shoot a slug with a choke in your shotgun. Since ive been looking around on here ive seen that you can. So i guess what i'm asking is, isit ok to shoot a rifled slug in a smooth bore with a mod choke? Forgive me if this is a stupid question but i just want to be sure.
Thanks,
Damien
Old 11-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: another slug gun question

The answer is yes, nothing stupid about your question. Just don't waste your money on the sabot slugs if you are shooting a smooth bore. Get the older "foster" type usually just called rifled slugs. They work best in smooth bores. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 AM

Thanks. Rather be safe than sorry.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you can shoot a slug through a modified choke. If you have one a improved cylinder choke would be better.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:59 PM

When you look at a rifled (or foster) slug you will see the fins on it that people call the rifled part. Many believe these impart spin to the slug as it flies through the air. This is not true, the fins are actually there to crush as they go through a choke in a shotgun. Rifled slugs remain stable in flight because they are hollow at the back and have a weight forward design just like a shuttle cock in bad mitten.

So yes you can shoot them with a choke in your gun. As a matter of fact if it has screw in chokes you should be shooting them with a choke in the gun. NEVER fire a shotgun with the screw in choke removed, especially with slugs.

You could go as far as a full choke with rifled slugs, but they will not perform very well because they will will be pretty deformed after they leave the barrel, no harm will come to your gun though.

Most suggest IC or more open, but Modified works pretty well in some cases. Some of my shotguns actually shoot better with a modified choke with certain slugs.

The only way you will know is to try, and try several brands one will probably stand out.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Yes to everything posted. I have a 20 ga pump with a modified choke that shoots very accurately at 100 yds. I used to have a 20 ga single shot with a VERY full choke that didn't do very well. In addition, the forearm came off in my hand every time I shot a slug through it.
Be sure to check out your gun before hunting; you want to know where it's hitting at both 50 and 100 yards.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Since we're on the subject i've got another one for ya.
I have a Revalation 20ga with an external adj. choke, you can twist it from IC-Mod -Full. I would expect this would work with slugs as well?
Any opinions?

Old 11-21-2007, 03:51 PM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/hatch87lx/100_0047.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/hatch87lx/100_0046.jpg
Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Yes you can do that. Although I have had many people criticize me for doing that. They say that it will ruin the gun but I have been shooting a rifled slug out of a smooth bore barrel with a mod choke for 3 years now and it has not done a single thing to my gun plus the guy at Gander Mountain said it was ok to do that.It is also quit accurate too.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:55 PM

That will work, just open it up as far as it will go and throw some slugs through it. I used to have an old bolt action gun with an adjustable choke on it and shot slugs fairly well.

Paul